Thread: A bad day diving is still better then a good day at work

City
    Virginia Beach
    State
    Virginia
    Country
    USA

Default Eastern Pa

I am always going to eastern Pa. Would love to dive there. Never have, never have a dive buddy.

City
    Virginia Beach
    State
    Virginia
    Country
    USA

I was a firefighter until a back injury put me behind a desk, I hate working in an office so back to school I go to do what I've have always wanted to do. Starting over is hard but I figure i would rather be happy

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Great, let me know when you are going to be in PA and we can set something up. I always love showing new people the local places to dive. I usually dive at least 2 days per week.

I am self employed, so I can with enough notice dive mostly any day and any time. I dive at Willow Springs Quarry mostly as I have a season pass. I also dive at the famous Dutch Springs when I can because the visibility is AMAZING!!

By the way I also have a back injury, so you won't be alone in that dept. I broke my back in a Jet Ski accident years ago. I have metal plates in my back and all. See, now if I could just strap a wing and my tanks to the metal plates in my back.......lol

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by ldyscuba View Post
    I was a firefighter until a back injury put me behind a desk, I hate working in an office so back to school I go to do what I've have always wanted to do. Starting over is hard but I figure i would rather be happy
    You're so right. This month also marks my starting over to try my hand at becoming my own boss and the flexibility (if not the ease in load!) that affords (Ace's 2 dives a week sounds amazing compared to my 4 dives-a-month average as a then corporate denizen).

I think it's exciting that you're going to be a marine biologist! I admire them. I become a student around them. I've gone to trips arranged by Conservation International-Philippines to write about their Sulu-Sulawesi Seascape projects (biodiversity conservation as personal advocacy and all that). And in this country, law enforcement is simply part of their challenges. For example, last December, Chinese poachers were caught red-handed with 800 live fish--including over 200 Napoleon wrasses--inside the Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park. Oh the uproar!
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Lu-Ann, I heard the Chinese poachers got away Scott-free though?

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Hi Sarah. The Chinese poachers had no difficulty paying more than a million (Philippine) pesos in cash bail bond. But they haven't fled the country.
    The Tubbataha park manager, Angelique Songo, did receive the report that all 30 of them already had airline tickets. They were slapped with a hold-departure order in time. So they're still in Puerto Princessa, Palawan (for their hearings). She tells me that she even sees them in the palengke (wet market) and jokes that she always gets the urge to kick them where it hurts. I don't blame her!

P.S. A Napoleon Wrasse sells for as much as US$200 a kilo in Hongkong.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    Tacoma
    State
    WA
    Country
    USA

Ok...so I don't live on the East Coast of anything...out here in the Pacific Northwest. But I do DREAM of living on the east coast of MANY places....alas...one day I may be island bound!

Welcome to the board!

Registered Users
    City
    St. Louis
    State
    Missouri - landlocked
    Country
    USA

Default I'm a newbie too

Lissa,
    Just read your note. I'm always looking for a dive buddy too, but sounds like you enjoy the cold water, which is definitely NOT for me! :-) I won't dive in water colder than 80 without a dry suit, and when I did my dry suit certification in a spring, I froze my tail off!
    How about some nice tropical waters? Maybe some sharks, rays, whales?
    Most of all, nice warm water.
    Anyway, look forward to chatting with a lot of you.
    Have a great day and hope we are all out diving soon!

Country
    USA

Sharkgal, I'm with you.....after diving tropical in 80 degree water seeing spectacular marine life while enjoying using a thin 3mm suit, why get all geared up....
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Sharkgal, I'm with you.....after diving tropical in 80 degree water seeing spectacular marine life while enjoying using a thin 3mm suit, why get all geared up....
    Variety, it is always to see something new or have a change of pace. Why limit yourself to only tropical waters when the majority of the water in the world is not tropical.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast