Thread: Diving SoCal and Monterey Bay

Registered Users

Default Diving SoCal and Monterey Bay

Alright so I am going to get out and do some diving soon. Hoping to book a trip on June, 10th to Farnsworth Bank, another trip June 17th to Oil Rigs, and then the weekend of the 24th I will be in Monterey, Ca and am hoping to set up a 1-2 tank dive tour w/ a local guide.

Anyone familiar with dive spots around Monterey that I should NOT MISS?

...still looking at Cabo, Mexico for August. Not terriby excited about the diving but am not going to miss the opportunity since I will be there anyway. The sport fishing really depends on how much you can spend - I'm thinking of spending a little more to get on a nicer boat that is doing catch and release Marlin fishing.
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Registered Users

Default Maldives

Also, I have decided to start stashing money away for a trip to the Maldives. Oh my that place looks unbelievable!

Anyone got more to say about the Maldives?

Whooo hooo!!!

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Country
    USA

Phrenic,

I dove Cabo years ago and was disappointed. The whole place is designed to bleed tourists.

Cabo Pulmo is better diving. Amigos del Mar is well regarded as a dive operation.

As to fishing, it is WAY overpriced in Cabo. Loreto is better fishing for 50% less.

I've caught marlin in Cabo. I had more fun catching a 40 lb yellowfin tuna at the entrance to the marina than I did catching the 120lb marlin.

There are pangas or skiffs, where they will try to ream you for $250-$350 for the day, or the larger cruisers, which they will try to get $400-$500 for.

I'd rather just catch them all on video now.....

Phrenic,

There is a Maldives dive video posted here

Registered Users

Default excellent

Yep that will work, and I'll bet it gets even better. I was also reading that it is a great place to dive with sharks.

Did anyone else put in an entry for the Discovery HD 1080 trip? That would be something I really wish I could do. If you missed it, there was a contest to put in a daily entry to have the opportunity to travel to the Carribean with the Discovery Channel dive crew to film shark week for this summer. I want to win so bad it hurts.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Registered Users

Sounds like I'll have to be careful. I work with some guys that go down there to fish often, so I should be able to get the names and numbers for reputable boats and what exactly it should cost. The pongas don't really sound fun - baking in the sun, ending up with fish you don't want to consume which makes killing them a waste...that's the main reason I would pay more to do catch and release marlin fishing. If I can find a reasonable solution where we are covered, and the fish buried in ice - I will do it. After all Cabo is world famous for fishing, and I hear the chefs at the resort are usually happy to prepare it for you. Being nickel and dimed for everything is annoying but inevitable in a resort town.

In the meantime I checked out Amigos del Mar and they have a dive package that looks good to me:

"The Slam Dunk Package"
    Three Days of Diving - 1 two tank day Local Diving, 1 two tank "Across The Bay Trip", 1 two tank Cabo Pulmo Day = $269

...I can see myself going for this what do you guys think?

-Hunter S. Thompson

That sounds like a decent deal. Avoid a dive to the "Sand Falls".

Registered Users

I'll make 'em work for the extra dough: "hey listen when we get down there, could you roll up into a ball and roll yourself down sand falls?"

-Hunter S. Thompson

Tell them you saw a video of a coconut octopus rolling up into a ball on
    ScubaMagazine.net and you promised you'd bring home some footage, lol