Thread: Vews on the Meg

Default Vews on the Meg

Hi all,
    I am going to do a try dive this week on the Meg, with the view of taking the course and buying one in August fingers crossed.

What's the general consensus regarding the comparison between YBD or Kiss in regards to build quality servicing etc ??

James

Country
    USA

James,

The Meg has a great reputation, and from what I've seen in person the build quality looks great.

I dive an Inspiration with Vision electronics, and I think there is no equal to their electronics, but I'd probably get the smaller Evo for all the travel I do if I had to do it again.

But then ISC has a mini-meg.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by mydiveproductions View Post
    Hi all,
    I am going to do a try dive this week on the Meg, with the view of taking the course and buying one in August fingers crossed.

What's the general consensus regarding the comparison between YBD or Kiss in regards to build quality servicing etc ??

James
    The KISS is a great sport diving rebreather, well built and very light and portable. The Meg is built like a tank, and has the versatility of a Swiss Army knife. Leon Scammahorn is one of the best RB instructors alive.

Just tried out the Meg, cool unit. For a run down and cool pic of me using the meg have a look at my web site click on Blog.

James

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Went straight for the manta clip, naturally. It appears they come straight at you for a nice belly-view swerve. Couldn't resist "nocturnal activities" either, interesting behaviour there (just as interesting is the contrast between the sweet-singing soundtrack and the teethy display lol)
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Thanks glad that you liked the clips, I spent hours with the Mantas they have to be my fav marine crteatures.

Feel free to sign my guest book !

Regards

James

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

I've been diving the Megalodon since early February and love it. As one of the others said it's built like a tank, no cheap plastic parts here and is totally modular. You can use any size tanks and can even dive it while side mounting tanks. There is currently 5 or 6 different scrubbers available which will give you any where from 3.5 to 24 hours of scrubber time. You can use any type of backplate and harness or even a Transpack with it and minus tanks you can pack the entire unit in a Pelican case that fits in the overhead bin of an aircraft.

It is one fantastic piece of gear. Check out my pictures to see what it looks like underwater. Ok the pictures are very large and I could only upload one.
    Last edited by padipro; 07-20-2007 at 01:19 AM.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I haven't dove the Meg but I've done plenty of dives with friends who have them. It's a really nicely built unit, and I think it's got the edge over both the Kiss and the Inspiration in scrubber duration. The electronics design with the flashing sequence for PO2 of each sensor seems cumbersome, but my friends tell me it's not annoying. The scrubber looks really fast to pack. I'm not sure how much I like having to take the top off to turn on the machine or the fact that the battery is inside the loop. I don't care for the placement of the 0-2 injector on the inhalation counterlung but a lot of my friends just switched it around. It seems like a really dependable machine and it appears to be very rugged, I've only seen one Meg diver lose a dive due to equipment problems.

Country
    USA

With the Vision temp stik I have gotten almost 9 hours out of my Inspo scrubber although I wouldn't try that on a deep deco dive. This is running it 5-10 minutes into the scrubber flashing warning at a depth that was in the 20 foot range.

I normally bin the sofnolime at about 6 hours so I don't have issues with subsequent dives but at that run time the bar graph usually shows a ways to go still.

I think they make a Mini-Meg too.