Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Inflate or Vest

Registered Users

Default Surface Floating Issue

Just a quick post, to say I had similar surface issues with my new Seaquest Balance BCD last August, but stuck 2 lbs in the non dump pouches at the back (1lb in each)..and it seemed to fix the problem.

And as said elsewhere here, you dont need to fully inflate either.

Hope this helps.

From my own perspective I had a jacket style (I'll call it a BCD for simplicity) before moving to a wing. I really liked my BCD with its pockets and I never found it to be an issue with being cluttered ......... now I have a wing but I have a pocket pouch on the waist band!

In the UK I wear a dry suit all year round and that is what I use for buoyancy during the dive so the BCD/wing is to hold the cylinder(s), give me lift on the surface and to provide backup under water.

When I moved to twin 12 ltr cylinders my BCD didn't have enough lift to support me at the surface so I bought a wing.

In short, IMO, if you are single cylinder diving then a BCD is fine. There are some really good designs out their that don't squeeze you when fully inflated and keep the gas where it should be to support you at the surface.

Over inflating a wing can push you forward with a single cylinder and moving your weight about can help ease the issue.

If you don't have lift issues then stick with what you've got ....... unless you want to buy some new dive kit.

Also, people say wings give you better under water trim but I've never really found that to be an issue whatever I've used ........

Certainly, from a UK perspective, BCD's were for singles (plus ponies) and wings for more weight/cylinders. I have noticed more wing style BCD's in the mags but whether than is fashion led or there is any need for it .......... ?

[EDIT]I misread the opening post so most of the above is not relavant but I'll add - if suffering "tipping forward" on the surface put some lead at the back of your cylinder (unless you get into tight spaces) or in relevant trim pockets .....
    Last edited by Finless; 06-09-2007 at 10:23 PM.

City
    Corona
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

Thumbs up Thanks to all

After going back and forth I decided on the Back Inflate (Sherwood Axis) I appreciate all the input. Trip to Catalina on the 24th to try it out. This should be interesting.
    SeaDog
    You Never Know What Lurks Below

http://www.myspace.com/twself

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
    After going back and forth I decided on the Back Inflate (Sherwood Axis) I appreciate all the input. Trip to Catalina on the 24th to try it out. This should be interesting.
    Apologies if I am "teaching Granny to suck eggs" ut I would recommend a session in the pool, shallow water somewhere to get your trim and weighting correct for the new gear - no point spoiling a 'proper dive' by swimming around nose down in the silt ot having to walk along the sea bed!

Registered Users
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

I tried that PFD/BC combo this weekend, but I ran out of places to put the 50 pounds of lead I needed to get under...

City
    St. Thomas
    State
    USVI
    Country
    USA

I am a vest guy

Country
    USA

Whatever you are most comfortable with is usually the best.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by LANCE View Post
    I am a vest guy
    Really? I wouldn't have thought so. I find that rear inflation is becoming much more common in the U.S. but don't know about elsewhere in the world. I also find rear inflation to be more common with males then females. These are just my observations from being on the dive boat pretty often.

I guess it just depends on what you are used to using.

Registered Users

Default Back Inflate or Vest

Back inflate almost always put you in the water when you start and if you are unconscious. Something to consider, but thats the way I dived and I love it. No mess on the forehead, or press, if you breathe.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

what if you don't breathe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast