Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Dive Computer

Registered Users

Default Choosing a Dive Computer

Can people give their inputs in terms of recommendations for a dive computer and why? I know that this is subjective, but I enjoy hearing different people's varying opinions.

Why not preface this by telling all what type of diving you like to do, and if you need the computer to handle any future diving that is different from the type you do now.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Yes, would need to know what type of diving you do or intend to progress to.

But for your info . . . I am currently using a Suunto Vyper and am very happy with it. Nice display and layout of menus, gives lots of good info, backlight. One complaint with it is I find sometimes you really have to press the buttons down hard to get them to work.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I seen a few demo versions of the Galileo Sol from Scubapro/Umatec the other day before they went to truk for some testing. Big beefy comp that seems to do just about everything and OC nitrox diver could want. Had 4 sender units to monitor 3 of your own tanks and one of your buddies, heart rate monitor and plenty of bells and whistles in side it as well. There was no issues with them as far as i know and they werent treated like eggs while there. Plenty of scratches on them on return. They arent cheap but.

Matt

Registered Users

I am a new diver looking to purchase scuba equipment. Anticipate recreational diving in southern california. I do not currently own a computer. Just wanted to hear different people's input and the reasons why they purchased their particular computer.

In that case, for recreational, get one that has a large display and a nice graphical interface.

I think the hoseless computers are really nifty and Oceanic/Aeris makes some ncie hoseless, the but the guys here will have some other good advice too.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I don't know why, but I'm not really fussy for the air integrated ones, hoseless or otherwise. I like having an analogue spg. For the display on the computer, I'd look for one with a nice large display that shows at least current depth, max depth and no deco time remaining constantly through the dive. I think a backlight is a really important feature too. And it wouldn't hurt to have one that can handle Nitrox mixes too, even if you aren't Nitrox certified yet, because you probably will be eventually. Then you have to decide whether you want to mount it in a console or on your wrist (I like it on my wrist. It makes ascents very easy when you can look at the computer with a raise of the arm while controlling your low pressure inflator with the other hand. I would also look for one that has user replaceable batteries, that is very handy.

What did I miss guys?

Or you could always spend $1500 for that new Oceanic mask with the built in heads up display shown in the forum here!

Below is the Galileo Sol that Zero was talking about.

Galileo1.gif

City
    Corona
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

Is there any real difference between the Cobra 2 and the Wisdom 2 and all the other computers of that style, I heard that all of them are made by the same company over sea, so the operation and "Most" functions are the same....any truth to that? or am I way out in left field.
    SeaDog
    You Never Know What Lurks Below

http://www.myspace.com/twself

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I have noticed that a lot of computers from different manufacturers "look" the same ... like same casing and often times similar display. I was noticing that again just this past weekend between a suunto and an oceanic. At first glance they appeared to be the same computer: same colour, same basic case design, etc.
    *shrug*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast