Hybrid View

Registered Users
    City
    Xlendi
    State
    Munxar, Gozo
    Country
    Malta

heh go for a VR3, there £680 for the base model and fully upgradeable to trimix semi closed and closed rebreather

and there sexy

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I think the common thread here is to buy a computer with greater capability than you need right now if you plan on going further in diving.

It doesn't make much sense to save a couple of hundred dollars and then have to replace the computer in a year or two when you want to do advanced nitrox, trimix or CCR diving.

I bought a Nitek 3 in the late nineties, it was way more computer than I needed at the time, and I still use it nearly ten years later.

I've also got a VR3 and ended up upgrading that to the CCR/Trimix features.

I recently had a chance to check out the new Liquivision computer and that looks really nice.

Registered Users

Red face How 'bout a Gekko?

I'm not sure of the protocol on this board, so I'll go with trying to resuscitate this thread, rather than starting a new one.

I'm a recreational diver, I've been certified for almost a year, I have 50 dives in the Philippines. I am looking for a good, inexpensive dive computer to buy before a trip to Hawaii in April 2009. I have focused in on the Suunto Gekko because I hear Suunto makes good, solid (they'll last) dive computers. I have seen one and I can read the letters (important as my eyes fossilize), and I've seen a price of $205.

The biggest negative I've seen is that it doesn't have a back light, it is phosphorescent. How big a negative is that?

What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
    Bob

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by TravellinThru View Post

What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
    Bob
    It's just a basic inexpensive dive computer.

I would recommend a Dive Rite NiTek Duo which is also available under a few other names. It is inexpensive, but is made well and does everything you really need a computer to do.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Been using Suunto Vypers for a number of years and have no issues with it. I use a wrist mounted version, but my other half has hers on her console. Easy to use, reliable, can change the battery yourself and has Nitrox capability, PC connection etc. Not sure how it compares price wise to the Gekko, my guess is a little more expensive.

Only slight question is that it appears conservative when compared to other computers being used by some of my dive buddies. I assume the Gekko will have similar, if not identical, software and so would perform in a similar way.

Not a problem as such, in fact, some might prefer it. I have just had a couple of instances, on multiple dive days, when towards the end of the 3rd dive I am hanging around at 30ft watching some of the group still enjoying the reef at 45 or 50ft. Not a major issue, but thought I'd mention it to see if others had similar experiences.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Registered Users

Default Dive computer Oceanic air integrated

Hi everyone

Im a recreational diver, im thinking about th eoceanic atom air int - anyone have any opinions on it ? Whats the computer interface like?

Country
    USA

You can't go wrong with just about anything from Oceanic. I know it uses a USB cable and supplied software to interface to your computer.
    SMN Publisher