Liuk3

Obviously there are a lot of choices out there. I faced the same thing WAYYYYYYYYY back when I bought my first computer. Funny thing is I am still using it now. To be honest though, I have been searching for a new computer to finally replace it, but only because I am going to get into some gas diving.

Anyway the computer I use is a Oceanic Prodigy. It is the most basic "hockey puck" style computers out there. The old hockey puck computers are able to be mounted in multiple locations so what ever you like is OK, and you can change your mind and keep your computer. They are built like a tank and have user replaceable batteries.

Now they are basic, no air integration and mine does not even do nitrox BUT they can be had for next to nothing and will keep you safe for recreational diving. I think I saw a few going for between $75 and $100 on ebay. For that price it makes great sense, as you can dive with it now, and when you are ready to upgrade you can sell it or use it as a great back-up computer.

NOW, that computer that Zero was talking about sounds insanely amazing, but I am sure it is about $2000, plus additional for each of the hoseless transmitters. It can probablly do everything except clean your dive gear for you as well, BUT I think it would be way overkill for a new diver. Get something easy to use, and enjoy your dive.