Thread: Choosing a Dive Computer

Hybrid View

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I don't know why, but I'm not really fussy for the air integrated ones, hoseless or otherwise. I like having an analogue spg. For the display on the computer, I'd look for one with a nice large display that shows at least current depth, max depth and no deco time remaining constantly through the dive. I think a backlight is a really important feature too. And it wouldn't hurt to have one that can handle Nitrox mixes too, even if you aren't Nitrox certified yet, because you probably will be eventually. Then you have to decide whether you want to mount it in a console or on your wrist (I like it on my wrist. It makes ascents very easy when you can look at the computer with a raise of the arm while controlling your low pressure inflator with the other hand. I would also look for one that has user replaceable batteries, that is very handy.

What did I miss guys?

Or you could always spend $1500 for that new Oceanic mask with the built in heads up display shown in the forum here!

Below is the Galileo Sol that Zero was talking about.

Galileo1.gif

City
    Corona
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

Is there any real difference between the Cobra 2 and the Wisdom 2 and all the other computers of that style, I heard that all of them are made by the same company over sea, so the operation and "Most" functions are the same....any truth to that? or am I way out in left field.
    SeaDog
    You Never Know What Lurks Below

http://www.myspace.com/twself

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I have noticed that a lot of computers from different manufacturers "look" the same ... like same casing and often times similar display. I was noticing that again just this past weekend between a suunto and an oceanic. At first glance they appeared to be the same computer: same colour, same basic case design, etc.
    *shrug*

Hmmm!

It's like this: I assume that if you want to buy a computer (first one) then you are probably fairly new to diving.

Therefore buying a trimix/tech compatible computer is a waste of cash (unless you want to waste your money/flash it off to impress non-divers).

Buying Suunto is a good investment. Suunto make computers with very safe algorithms and clear, easy to read displays.

I agree that the Suunto Vyper is a great dive computer (I have used one for 5 years without any problems - and just 2 batteries on 1500 dives).

Suunto manufactures what are also widely regarded as the most conservative dive computers:- they keep you safe as long as you follow them.

However, all computers will keep you safe as long as you understand them and follow them.

WWD

Registered Users

I've been considering the Suunto too - there are a regular number of Suunto D9 appearing on eBay for around $1,100 to $1,200 us. Does anyone already use a D9 and if so just how good are they?

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

hey gang
    well, as for computers, the most user friendly that i can think of are the SUUNTO dive computers. the ones that are integrated in to watches (Spyder, Mosquito, Stinger, D6 and D9), not just SUUNTO's any watch intergated computer could umm get broken by mistake, not on a dive but on an everyday task, like replacing a spare tire on ones car, falling in the shower or whatever...
    on the otherhand, the computers that are situated in the rubber boots, hold better when hit, mostly they also have a plastic protective screen that protects them from scratches, they are also bigger, have more userfreindly displays, in this one i would definately prefer SUUNTO's, GEKKO, VYPER1+2, VYTEC
    the Combo computers could be a hassle, i wouldnt trust a computer to tell me my gas ammount in any situation. the handworn big ones can be integrated in to the modular combos at a later stage. just not connected to the gas suply.
    the new SUUNTO's have the full or 50% RGBM modes w/Deep stops, thats a plus in my eyes, so do most of the other brands in the market i think.

to choose a computer, it depends, it was said in here by others, your goals.
    my first computer was a VYPER, had it for over 4 years almost 2000 dives and one battery replacement, i only sold it to get a VYTEC, i regret that now i didnt know i would move on to trimix so fast and i got a VR3 hehe, should have kept the VYPER for a bottom timer and skipped buying the VYTEC although we dive useing tables, the puter is a saftey net. all depends on where you wish to get to and how long it will take, i wouldnt buy a TriMix puter when im not a technical diver yet.
    about the D9, i wouldn't buy one it's too delicate and once they go, have you got a spare timepiece on yourself?
    i type too much.. sorry.
    just drop me a prvt msg if you like.
    good diving all
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 06-11-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo's

Registered Users
    City
    Xlendi
    State
    Munxar, Gozo
    Country
    Malta

heh go for a VR3, there £680 for the base model and fully upgradeable to trimix semi closed and closed rebreather

and there sexy

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I think the common thread here is to buy a computer with greater capability than you need right now if you plan on going further in diving.

It doesn't make much sense to save a couple of hundred dollars and then have to replace the computer in a year or two when you want to do advanced nitrox, trimix or CCR diving.

I bought a Nitek 3 in the late nineties, it was way more computer than I needed at the time, and I still use it nearly ten years later.

I've also got a VR3 and ended up upgrading that to the CCR/Trimix features.

I recently had a chance to check out the new Liquivision computer and that looks really nice.

Registered Users

Red face How 'bout a Gekko?

I'm not sure of the protocol on this board, so I'll go with trying to resuscitate this thread, rather than starting a new one.

I'm a recreational diver, I've been certified for almost a year, I have 50 dives in the Philippines. I am looking for a good, inexpensive dive computer to buy before a trip to Hawaii in April 2009. I have focused in on the Suunto Gekko because I hear Suunto makes good, solid (they'll last) dive computers. I have seen one and I can read the letters (important as my eyes fossilize), and I've seen a price of $205.

The biggest negative I've seen is that it doesn't have a back light, it is phosphorescent. How big a negative is that?

What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
    Bob