Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Choosing a Dive Computer - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Dive Computer

Hmmm!

It's like this: I assume that if you want to buy a computer (first one) then you are probably fairly new to diving.

Therefore buying a trimix/tech compatible computer is a waste of cash (unless you want to waste your money/flash it off to impress non-divers).

Buying Suunto is a good investment. Suunto make computers with very safe algorithms and clear, easy to read displays.

I agree that the Suunto Vyper is a great dive computer (I have used one for 5 years without any problems - and just 2 batteries on 1500 dives).

Suunto manufactures what are also widely regarded as the most conservative dive computers:- they keep you safe as long as you follow them.

However, all computers will keep you safe as long as you understand them and follow them.

WWD

Registered Users

I've been considering the Suunto too - there are a regular number of Suunto D9 appearing on eBay for around $1,100 to $1,200 us. Does anyone already use a D9 and if so just how good are they?

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

hey gang
    well, as for computers, the most user friendly that i can think of are the SUUNTO dive computers. the ones that are integrated in to watches (Spyder, Mosquito, Stinger, D6 and D9), not just SUUNTO's any watch intergated computer could umm get broken by mistake, not on a dive but on an everyday task, like replacing a spare tire on ones car, falling in the shower or whatever...
    on the otherhand, the computers that are situated in the rubber boots, hold better when hit, mostly they also have a plastic protective screen that protects them from scratches, they are also bigger, have more userfreindly displays, in this one i would definately prefer SUUNTO's, GEKKO, VYPER1+2, VYTEC
    the Combo computers could be a hassle, i wouldnt trust a computer to tell me my gas ammount in any situation. the handworn big ones can be integrated in to the modular combos at a later stage. just not connected to the gas suply.
    the new SUUNTO's have the full or 50% RGBM modes w/Deep stops, thats a plus in my eyes, so do most of the other brands in the market i think.

to choose a computer, it depends, it was said in here by others, your goals.
    my first computer was a VYPER, had it for over 4 years almost 2000 dives and one battery replacement, i only sold it to get a VYTEC, i regret that now i didnt know i would move on to trimix so fast and i got a VR3 hehe, should have kept the VYPER for a bottom timer and skipped buying the VYTEC although we dive useing tables, the puter is a saftey net. all depends on where you wish to get to and how long it will take, i wouldnt buy a TriMix puter when im not a technical diver yet.
    about the D9, i wouldn't buy one it's too delicate and once they go, have you got a spare timepiece on yourself?
    i type too much.. sorry.
    just drop me a prvt msg if you like.
    good diving all
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 06-11-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo's

Registered Users

Thanks - that's a balloon-popper but you make a lot of sense. I think I've been getting excited by the techo aspects and minimising the practical application. I think I'll hold off on the bidding for a while.

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

As a newly certified diver then, the dive shop recommended a Suunto Mosquito. Within a few months, the unit I purchased, for no apparent reason, conked out on me. Because I was about to leave for a week-long liveaboard, the proprietor lent me another Mosquito while mine (under warranty) was shipped overseas for repair.

Then on the very first dive, I discovered that the Mosquito-on-loan didn't work either (what are the chances!). I spent the rest of the multi-day, multi-dive trip simply staying at the same (if not slightly higher) level underwater as our DM. Imagine not being able to calibrate on your own especially when there's, say, a ray in a crevice that needs you to descend a little bit longer.

Eventually (it took longer than a month if I remember right), I got my Mosquito back, and six years later, all it needed since was the occasional change of batteries. Being a purely recreational diver, I have not really felt the need to change this model for another.

It's all so random, I tell ya So, for the new diver about to commit to the model of his choice, also make sure that your shop (mine did try) goes the extra mile for those "just in case..." moments that are bound to happen.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

i cannot but fully agree PinayDiver

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

Default suunto stinger price??

how much is a Suunto Stinger nowadays (stainless strap w/ free rubber strap)?? both brand new and 2nd hand (slightly used)???

what about a brand new suunto mosquito?

Stingers are $500-$600, and Mosquito's can be had for $250-$350, both on E-bay.

But of course you don't get service or help on programming with mail order.

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

thanks

Registered Users

I have this dilemma right now as well!

All the DM's I have gone diving with use a Cobra. Even in Fiji the DM's used a Cobra. It is not mentioned here. Why? Is it because it is air integrated? I hadn't thought of this issue, but understand why it could be a problem. I can't say they don't malfunction. I have been on a dive where the DM's Cobra did malfunction and became useless. Fortunately it was at the end of the dive, and he uses backups. This issue isn't something I have heard many complaints about though. Others have said they have used their Cobra for years without issue.

Also I do not own my own regulator. Do dive shops frown on needing to attach a Cobra to their regulators?

I have decided on Suunto but which one? I was thinking a Cobra w/SK7 compass attachment.

1- Cobra
    2 - Vyper
    3- Mosquito
    4 - Stinger

All of these would work proper for my purposes I think. Is air integration the main difference?
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast