View Poll Results: What makes it a tec dive?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tech gear = tech dive

1 6.67%
  • Going deep or doing deco makes it a tech dive

14 93.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slinging = tech?

Registered Users

Default slinging = tech?

An instructor told me that I shouldn't sling a pony bottle because that would be a stage which would be technical diving. He said my pony bottle has to be attached to my main tank or else it's a stage and its a tech dive.
    Especially if its two al80 stages. Is it possible to do a recreational dive with doubles and two al80 stages? I think you can, I just drifted for 3 hours 30ft deep and it was a nice rec dive within NDL, but he says that its tech gear so its a tech dive, but I learned in my PADI OW that tech means deeper than 130ft or past NDL.
    What do you say?

This instructor is talking out of his back side ,
    Proteus

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Who care is its tech or rec. Did you have fun doing it? So the instructor want you to have 4 backmounted tanks so its not tech?

Matt

any dive with 2 2nd stages is tekky!

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Who care is its tech or rec. Did you have fun doing it? So the instructor want you to have 4 backmounted tanks so its not tech?

Matt
    Well, he tried to tell me that to carry two stages I needed to take a "extended range" course. Which I believe, is where he takes you down to 180ft on air, not something *I* ever want to do. Not sure what that has to do with carrying stages either.

Yes, it was fun

He also thinks that using doubles, or even a backplate and wing, means tech.
    Last edited by CrazyHead; 05-29-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Your instructor is wrong. He really thinks that wearing a BP/W is Tech diving? I would get an instructor who is more in tune with what is happening in diving today.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I think more to it get some practise up on the gear so you know where it sits on you and how it all works. I know you arent going deep but still make sure you know what reg your on and where its matching SPG is.

Matt

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

That's good advice Zero. I suppose that would be an endless debate, where you draw the line and start calling it tech diving. But it sounds like, maybe, your "instructor" was hoping you'd pay for another course??

Quote Originally Posted by deeparmchair View Post
    any dive with 2 2nd stages is tekky!

Gee.. I dive with 2 second stages every time I dive... and if you *did* mean diving with two 1st stages, I don't think you'd find a single tech diver that'd support that argument for tech diving...

R
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Richard Santink
    Mississippi Mills, ON

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    That's good advice Zero. I suppose that would be an endless debate, where you draw the line and start calling it tech diving. But it sounds like, maybe, your "instructor" was hoping you'd pay for another course??
    Oh maybe, or maybe he just assumed I needed that much gas because I was going to go real deep. He works at the shop where I get my fills, so its hard to avoid him.

I think more to it get some practise up on the gear so you know where it sits on you and how it all works. I know you arent going deep but still make sure you know what reg your on and where its matching SPG is.
    I guess, eventually, but I find just having the 4 regs hanging off my shoulder, I can just breathe off 1 until there's no more air, then switch to another. It's worked pretty good so far. then when one doesnt give air anymore, pass it back over your shoulder so you don't switch to it when the next one runs out of air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast