View Poll Results: What makes it a tec dive?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tech gear = tech dive

1 6.67%
  • Going deep or doing deco makes it a tech dive

14 93.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: slinging = tech?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHead View Post
    Well, he tried to tell me that to carry two stages I needed to take a "extended range" course. Which I believe, is where he takes you down to 180ft on air, not something *I* ever want to do. Not sure what that has to do with carrying stages either.

Yes, it was fun

He also thinks that using doubles, or even a backplate and wing, means tech.
    He's a quack.
    Did you do planned decompression or gas switches? No.

Having the gear does not make you any more of a tech diver than a person who'd buy a rabbit fur coat and immediately think they were a rabbit.

I agree with with the comment that it sounds like the instructor just wants you to take more classes...
    But out of curiousity-- why would you buy the "tech" gear if you didn't plan to go that route? Bp/w is understandable for the simplicity of the setup, but why stages and doubles?
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDiveGirl View Post
    But out of curiousity-- why would you buy the "tech" gear if you didn't plan to go that route? Bp/w is understandable for the simplicity of the setup, but why stages and doubles?
    I got the gear so I could do long shore dives. There are some sites 1000 or 2000 feet out from shore I like to visit, or sometimes there are sites that just aren't near the entry point.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

hello CrazyHead,
    is it a good idea to breath your tanks dry one at a time?
    when is your turning point? when do you know when to begin ending the dive ?
    what if you blow an O-ring on your last tank and the other 3 are empty?
    i would leave at least 350 psi in my tanks just in case, mark my reguloators so i know what comes from where, so there will be no doubt i would not wish to take a useless reg in to my mouth when i have no air.
    Do you dive with a Buddy? i would be highly advised.
    are you streamlined? if you have hoses dragging behind you, one of them might just get caught in something, more chance of accident, you could keep the hoses of the Pony tanks strapped and folded against them so you know exactly where you put them, and have east access to them.
    whether its tekkie or not is not an issue in my eyes. if i were that instructor i would get in to the pool with you and help you out with your configuration.
    i would take a Strees & Rescue course, if you have not taken one as yet, if only to imroove my diving so i would be prepared to save myself when need be.
    also, suitable diving insurance if you have not got it.
    a tech course would also help, yes, but im not trying to sell you anything.
    life is important mate, if we do things that could put us in harms way, at least try to minimalise the dangers
    none of us would like to be part of the statistics.
    good safe diving

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdaniel View Post
    i would leave at least 350 psi in my tanks just in case, mark my reguloators so i know what comes from where, so there will be no doubt i would not wish to take a useless reg in to my mouth when i have no air.
    Id go a step further and not breath any tank down at once. If you swap regs every 10 bar you will always have around the same amount of gas in all your tanks and your turn around point is easy to work out.
    As for the streamlining them have you ever tried sidemounts? Dive Rite do a kit for the Transpac 2 system that works great. Holds everything nice and close but aslo out of the way. There are a few others that make sidemounted BCs if you look around. Armadillo is another maker.

Matt

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdaniel View Post
    hello CrazyHead,
    is it a good idea to breath your tanks dry one at a time?
    when is your turning point? when do you know when to begin ending the dive ?
    Do you dive with a Buddy? i would be highly advised.
    are you streamlined? if you have hoses dragging behind you, one of them might just get caught in something, more chance of accident, you could keep the hoses of the Pony tanks strapped and folded against them so you know exactly where you put them, and have east access to them.
    whether its tekkie or not is not an issue in my eyes. if i were that instructor i would get in to the pool with you and help you out with your configuration.
    i would take a Strees & Rescue course, if you have not taken one as yet, if only to imroove my diving so i would be prepared to save myself when need be.
    also, suitable diving insurance if you have not got it.
    a tech course would also help, yes, but im not trying to sell you anything.
    life is important mate, if we do things that could put us in harms way, at least try to minimalise the dangers
    none of us would like to be part of the statistics.
    good safe diving
    Thanks I've printed out this thread and will take it with me on my next dive with stages.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Diverdaniel

Id go a step further and not breath any tank down at once. If you swap regs every 10 bar you will always have around the same amount of gas in all your tanks and your turn around point is easy to work out.
    As for the streamlining them have you ever tried sidemounts? Dive Rite do a kit for the Transpac 2 system that works great. Holds everything nice and close but aslo out of the way. There are a few others that make sidemounted BCs if you look around. Armadillo is another maker.

Matt

Dear Matt,
    to manage ones gasses that way would be ideal.
    only it would be task loading in such a way that would really indanger the diver, in my eyes at least. the rule of thrids would work nicely i think?

about sidemounts?
    all i have to say is WOW
    Man what a change.
    nothing forward, and All round back, you have total freedon to move your arms.
    i have made myself an armadillo style BP
    works wonders when you need to work manually U/W

i'll post pics sometime maybe

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

As a Solo diver and also as a Public Safety diver I have both tank mounted pony and a slung pony. Depends on the conditions! For Rec with a buddy I prefer a slung pony so I can detach it and hand it to a diver out of air and then back off and supervise their ascent. Some people have an agenda and others just want to sound important!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Default slinging = tech = redundancy = safety ?

Hi

I cannot see the reasson why carrying a Pony/stage/sling silinder should be classified as tech..
    (Maybe the instructor was so awe struck by what he saw.... he reckoned it must be "Tech" from the planet Aquamarinata)

I am a tech diver, and I regularily apply the safety techniques and skills I have learned, especially in the area of redundant gas supplies, and deco/safety stop planning when ever I go diving.
    That does not mean that every dive on which I use my learned techniques and skills is a tech dive.
    As matter of fact, our group are using "deep Stops" when ever we dive to + 30m (+/- 100Ft).
    Does that make those dive "tech dives "?? Me think not.
    As matter of fact, all dives are deco dives.....Some just have mandatory decompression stop obligations.
    Your controlled rate of ascent (10m/33ft/min) IS part of your deco. (dont tell that to the instructor, he might fall over backward, or run down the road screaming)

Carrying additional gas supplies (redundancy) is an excellent habbit, IF you can safely handle the extra equipment. Whether it is in the form of independent doubles, manifolded doubles, singles with stage silinders or what ever configuration you would like.
    Rather have too much, than not have enough... when you need it.

Practice good gas planning, and keep using your sling/stage silinder. (maybe get somewhere else to fill you silinders...

Regards

Johan
    "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!"

City
    San Diego
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

The amount of cylinders you carry is up to you. If you aren't going into deco and beyond your training, and as was previously stated you can handle the extra equipment, take a submersable with you if you want. If you should decide to start doing decompression dives though, you should absolutely get training.
    Shane Thompson
    TDI 8702
    www.sandiegotechdiving.com

City
    Bakersfield
    State
    CA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    This instructor is talking out of his back side ,
    I'll second that, sounds like a case of ignorance