Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Divers thread removed?

Country
    USA

Aceloco and Publisher,

You are both right. The solo discussion posts are sparse and many/most divers solo, at least ocassionally - even if they are not aware of it. It's only an issue with a relatively few (perhaps) old school people. I just tend to overreact when the naysayers blow smoke in the face of modern equipment, training, and techniques.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Country
    USA

This reminds me of when I see all the "specialty" training courses like for drysuits. I was diving drysuits 30 years ago and there was no such thing as drysuit training. You were a diver, you had half a brain, and you knew what to do because you gave it some thought and used common sense.

Nowdays there are specialty course like "peak performance buoyancy" and "manta ray awareness specialty"....I have to confess, I just don't get it, although I am in favor of any course that keeps divers connected in some fashion.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I have to confess, I just don't get it,
    It's all about making money.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Nowdays there are specialty courses like "peak performance buoyancy" and "manta ray awareness specialty"....I have to confess, I just don't get it, although I am in favor of any course that keeps divers connected in some fashion.
    Don't forget the DSMB specialty

Half the divers I know dive solo as do many/most Tec & CCR divers. Photographers usually end up diving solo. Divemasters dive solo with no solo training, a lot of commercial diving is done solo with surface support only.

I could talk solo all day
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Okeanos View Post
    Don't forget the DSMB specialty D
    That is apparently such a specialty that is so special, I have never even heard of it!
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

That is apparently such a specialty that is so special, I have never even heard of it!
    Then, you haven't lived

http://www.amdivers.co.uk/DSMB.html
    http://www.dreamdiversltd.co.uk/padi...b-reel-course/
    http://www.divemasterscuba.com/dms/t...ities/dsmb.htm
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am not trying to get anyone upset or start a fight, but I really feel if someone needed to take one of those courses then maybe diving isn't for them. I would personally consider something more on par with my learning level....like checkers or uno.

Country
    USA

This reminds me of DIR Internet Diver wannabees who actually have never attended real DIR JJ inspired DIR training who say nothing of fin design and style....

So to poke fun at the posers I remember once posting on the Internet how I was the leader of the new, REAL DIR Philosophy where to be DIR, o-rings had to be of a certain durometer and composition, that masks straps had to be of a certain radius and length and material....that mask defogger had to be of a specific composition in a bottle of a uniform size and shape, and the draw tube of the mask defogger spray had to be made of a particular HDPE, and DIR training specified that gel defogger was not DIR, only pump spray defoggers with a uniform 5 grams of delivery based upon volume, not weight, was DIR, and...ok, so you get the idea of the fun I had with it....

So if people want to go get training on peak performance fin technology, and split-fin finning technique hucksterism specialty, more power to em!
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

So if people want to go get training on peak performance fin technology, and split-fin finning technique hucksterism specialty, more power to em!
    That is not a good way to look at it. In fact, it is really bad for all of us. By taking such remedial courses, the dive training agencies are seeing that the learning level of divers is extremely low. They then make more of the courses remedial, and eventually the entire operation is so basic that there really is nothing to learn.

I remember the days when the majority of dive classes were extremely serious and difficult, but we learned how to be the best divers we could be. Now, even if you can't spell your name they will hold your hand, get you though the course, hand you a C-card and sign you up for an "advanced" class.....as long as you have the money that is.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

I could talk all day about specialties. I teach SDI/TDI and we have some fun course like Solo or UW Hunter & Collector. I've had people ask me why we have a course for collecting scallops etc. I tell them I collect 200 scallops an hour on average, would they like to know how?

I throw the DSMB in with OW or AOW if the OW wasn't 'easy' for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast