Thread: Solo Divers thread removed?

Hybrid View

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by charmimn View Post
    So usually what does one learn in a Solo Diver class? I am thinking redundant air source(s), gear setups, situational awareness and issue solving.Is there more?
    Yep - there is a lot more. What dives not to take solo, essential navigational skills, for a couple. Get the SDI Solo Diver Training Manual. It's a good beginning to get an understanding of what is involved. Then take the course.

I dive almost exclusively solo. I value the freedom to go at my own pace. And when I have dived with a buddy or group with a DM I would have had to depend on myself completely anyway.

I sure would like to have the solo forum back. Having solo threads mixed in with other stuff it's just too easy to miss something. Perhaps that's the object - discourage even talking about it. That's a shame because SDI has pointed out some very important flaws in the "buddy system" and some very good reasons to be self sufficient. It also appears that other certification agencies are moving toward offering a solo course.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

[QUOTE=Charon;19922Having solo threads mixed in with other stuff it's just too easy to miss something. Perhaps that's the object - discourage even talking about it. [/QUOTE]

That is not the case, there never was a separate solo diving area. As of this point there have not been enough posts on solo diving to warrant it's own area of the forum. We surely are not discouraging solo diving (with appropriate training) or talking about it for sure.

If in the future solo diving becomes a prominent topic, then I am sure we can add it's own section.

Country
    USA

To add to Ace's commentary, we never gave it much thought as when I used to dive open circuit locally, 95% of the time I would dive solo and I did that for over 20 years.

It just does not seem to be that uncommon, that revolutionary or that controversial. If enough divers disagreed and wanted a separate forum and would use it, then that can changed.
    SMN Publisher

Country
    USA

Aceloco and Publisher,

You are both right. The solo discussion posts are sparse and many/most divers solo, at least ocassionally - even if they are not aware of it. It's only an issue with a relatively few (perhaps) old school people. I just tend to overreact when the naysayers blow smoke in the face of modern equipment, training, and techniques.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Country
    USA

This reminds me of when I see all the "specialty" training courses like for drysuits. I was diving drysuits 30 years ago and there was no such thing as drysuit training. You were a diver, you had half a brain, and you knew what to do because you gave it some thought and used common sense.

Nowdays there are specialty course like "peak performance buoyancy" and "manta ray awareness specialty"....I have to confess, I just don't get it, although I am in favor of any course that keeps divers connected in some fashion.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I have to confess, I just don't get it,
    It's all about making money.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Nowdays there are specialty courses like "peak performance buoyancy" and "manta ray awareness specialty"....I have to confess, I just don't get it, although I am in favor of any course that keeps divers connected in some fashion.
    Don't forget the DSMB specialty

Half the divers I know dive solo as do many/most Tec & CCR divers. Photographers usually end up diving solo. Divemasters dive solo with no solo training, a lot of commercial diving is done solo with surface support only.

I could talk solo all day
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Okeanos View Post
    Don't forget the DSMB specialty D
    That is apparently such a specialty that is so special, I have never even heard of it!
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    That is apparently such a specialty that is so special, I have never even heard of it!
    Then, you haven't lived

http://www.amdivers.co.uk/DSMB.html
    http://www.dreamdiversltd.co.uk/padi...b-reel-course/
    http://www.divemasterscuba.com/dms/t...ities/dsmb.htm
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba