Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Divers thread removed?

Registered Users

Default Solo Divers thread removed?

There used to be a separate area in here for Solo Divers, was it banned?

There has been no banning of any solo divers thread.....wherever the best category it would be under is where all are welcome to start solo discussions.

I am not sure if that would go under Basic Scuba Discussions or Technical Diving. I think probably under Basic.

Registered Users

I want to know your opinion or take a dive solo. I know this is a hot topic and is not supported during the year, but I would like to hear from divers who have done a few solo dives and get your comments on the security aspect, and if you personally feel that it is ok.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by dearkinson View Post
    I want to know your opinion or take a dive solo. I know this is a hot topic and is not supported during the year, but I would like to hear from divers who have done a few solo dives and get your comments on the security aspect, and if you personally feel that it is ok.
    I have completed around 2,500 solo dives, I also teach SDI's Solo diving course.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I also have done some semi solo diving on numerous occasions. I say semi solo because I do start the dive with a dive buddy but we go our own way, but it is a rather confined area and shallow water.

Personally I like the idea of solo diving, of course with training and the correct equipment.

Registered Users

Default In the end

You can have all the redundant equipment, know how to use it, take actions accordingly and come home many many times. I solo dive as well. I prefer it.
    I bet 80% of divers (I don't know the real number, I'm trying to stress a point)dive solo in one form or another. Next time you're diving, watch other 'pairs' of divers and see how often they check on each other, how often they check their guages, come up together, dive within arms reach, etc..
    It boils down to accepting there will be no one to assist you in time of need. Not fearing death or dwell on it.
    I am happy to read you are interested in solo diving and that you are looking for instruction on the art/techique of solo diving. The Instructor is your foundation. Make sure you seek the best one and practice the Standard Operating Procedures taught to you. They will serve as the foundation for the reason why you come home after every dive.

Dive Safe,
    Lars
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

So usually what does one learn in a Solo Diver class? I am thinking redundant air source(s), gear setups, situational awareness and issue solving.Is there more?

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by charmimn View Post
    So usually what does one learn in a Solo Diver class? I am thinking redundant air source(s), gear setups, situational awareness and issue solving.Is there more?
    Yep - there is a lot more. What dives not to take solo, essential navigational skills, for a couple. Get the SDI Solo Diver Training Manual. It's a good beginning to get an understanding of what is involved. Then take the course.

I dive almost exclusively solo. I value the freedom to go at my own pace. And when I have dived with a buddy or group with a DM I would have had to depend on myself completely anyway.

I sure would like to have the solo forum back. Having solo threads mixed in with other stuff it's just too easy to miss something. Perhaps that's the object - discourage even talking about it. That's a shame because SDI has pointed out some very important flaws in the "buddy system" and some very good reasons to be self sufficient. It also appears that other certification agencies are moving toward offering a solo course.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

[QUOTE=Charon;19922Having solo threads mixed in with other stuff it's just too easy to miss something. Perhaps that's the object - discourage even talking about it. [/QUOTE]

That is not the case, there never was a separate solo diving area. As of this point there have not been enough posts on solo diving to warrant it's own area of the forum. We surely are not discouraging solo diving (with appropriate training) or talking about it for sure.

If in the future solo diving becomes a prominent topic, then I am sure we can add it's own section.

Country
    USA

To add to Ace's commentary, we never gave it much thought as when I used to dive open circuit locally, 95% of the time I would dive solo and I did that for over 20 years.

It just does not seem to be that uncommon, that revolutionary or that controversial. If enough divers disagreed and wanted a separate forum and would use it, then that can changed.
    SMN Publisher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast