Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookie Cutter Sharks

Default Cookie Cutter Sharks

Has anyone ever heard of a Cookie Cutter Shark? Has anyone ever seen one?
    Apparently they are relatively small sharks reaching a maximum size of 50 cm and they feed by taking bites out of whales, sharks and other large fish. Also, they have been known to take chunks out of the neoprene coating over the bow of nuclear submarines.
    I would attach a link but I dont know how and bill gates keeps such information a secret.

You can make hyperlinks two ways:

1. either type in the whole link, like this: www.scubamagazine.net or this http://www.scubamagazine.net

2. Or type in a BB opening link: [url= then type the whole http thing, then add a right bracket to it, then type the name of whatever it is, such as cookie cutter shark, then add closing brackets to it [/url]

With number 1, the forum will automatically make it a hyperlink, while #2 is fancier, which will result in something like this:

To read about cookie cutters sharks,click here

whoa, that 2nd option is going to take some training. I think I will just use option #1.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ive only heard the same as you and never seen one. I think they are a deep species and dont come shallow too often. I could be wrong though.

Matt

They swim from hundreds of meters deep during the day to the surface at night.

so what you are saying is, dont wear neoprene at night, right?

No, I'm saying if you dive at night, be afraid, be very afraid.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    They swim from hundreds of meters deep during the day to the surface at night.
    Thats not cause their stuck on the front of a sub is it?

Matt

Registered Users

Default actually they taste rather good. Are plentiful and considered a pest.

I found once their caught, you need to gut them pretty soon as with most sharks. Unless you do a quick kill, before they get all worked up. This may stop the acid that is released into its tissue. But a simple solution is to generally wash the fillet using lemon juice or salt water. I prefer to fillet the smaller ones, grill over a low flame, coated with some butter and cracked pepper corn add a touch of wassbie, side of wild rice a nice tossed salad and a simple glass of water. after a long day of diving.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default Found it

Just did a quick google. Have a look at the following site - including pics....don't think I'd want to be on the receiving end of those teeth.

http://www.amonline.net.au/FISHES/fi...sh/ibrasil.htm

Also found that they live in depths of 2500 metres (don't know what that is in feet)

HTH

Lottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast