I have to disagree Matt, I do not know of anyone who could ever put together a logical argument for shouting fire in a crowded theater (creating a panic where there is no real emergency.) An individual's rights only extend to that point at which they interfere with the rights of others. It is an individual's right to consume as much alcohol as they like, but they do not have the right to endanger others through their actions by operating a vehicle while drunk on public highways. They can go run into as many trees on private property as they would like, but they cannot infringe upon the safety and comfort of others.

The airport rules about joking have been in place long before terrorists ever threatened our shores. I can vividly recall back in the early 70's being warned by airport security that saying hello to our friend "Jack" anywhere on the airport property would result in our immediate arrest as a group of us prepared top board our flight to basic training. There are idiots out there who think it funny to see people react, but they do not think about the negative impact their jokes can have in crowded places where panic sets in quickly and spreads uncontrollably. Many times these security personell are hearing just bits and pieces of the jokes as they attempt to scan as much as what is being said in their area as is possible. These individuals are charged with our safety and that means taking all words heard as serious threats and uncovering the details after that safety has been ensured.

Let's face it, the folks who shout fire in a crowd, yell Hi Jack on board an airliner, etc, are seeking a reaction from those around them. Why then are they so surpirsed when that reaction turns out to be handcuffs and a ride to the nearest detention facility? These idiots are seeking the same disruption of normal activity that the terrorists seek, just not at the same level.

Well said BCD.