Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSA Establishes No Humor Zones

I have to disagree Matt, I do not know of anyone who could ever put together a logical argument for shouting fire in a crowded theater (creating a panic where there is no real emergency.) An individual's rights only extend to that point at which they interfere with the rights of others. It is an individual's right to consume as much alcohol as they like, but they do not have the right to endanger others through their actions by operating a vehicle while drunk on public highways. They can go run into as many trees on private property as they would like, but they cannot infringe upon the safety and comfort of others.

The airport rules about joking have been in place long before terrorists ever threatened our shores. I can vividly recall back in the early 70's being warned by airport security that saying hello to our friend "Jack" anywhere on the airport property would result in our immediate arrest as a group of us prepared top board our flight to basic training. There are idiots out there who think it funny to see people react, but they do not think about the negative impact their jokes can have in crowded places where panic sets in quickly and spreads uncontrollably. Many times these security personell are hearing just bits and pieces of the jokes as they attempt to scan as much as what is being said in their area as is possible. These individuals are charged with our safety and that means taking all words heard as serious threats and uncovering the details after that safety has been ensured.

Let's face it, the folks who shout fire in a crowd, yell Hi Jack on board an airliner, etc, are seeking a reaction from those around them. Why then are they so surpirsed when that reaction turns out to be handcuffs and a ride to the nearest detention facility? These idiots are seeking the same disruption of normal activity that the terrorists seek, just not at the same level.

Well said BCD.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I dont want to get into arguement over difference of opinions with anyone but that sign doesnt say anything about terrorists or bombs or general chaos it simply states no jokes. I just wish the world was a more peaceful place where you could have fun and not at others expense.

Matt

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I dont want to get into arguement over difference of opinions with anyone but that sign doesnt say anything about terrorists or bombs or general chaos it simply states no jokes. I just wish the world was a more peaceful place where you could have fun and not at others expense.

Matt
    I think we all wish the same thing Matt, but reality shows us that there are those who derive their pleasure from seeing others panic. You are absolutely right, those signs are aimed at idiots, not terrorists. Terrorists want to maintain a low profile and not draw attention to themselves, while the idiots want to see how far they can bend the rules before they get caught. Reality also tells us that the more time these agents have to spend policing the actions of idiots, the less time they will have to devote to sniffing out real dangers to protect us from. I wish people would simply think through all of the consequences of their actions prior to initiaing such stunts, but unfortunately reality also tells us that this is likely to never happen. However, posting the signs may stop the wannabes from moving up into the ranks of the truly stupid.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    However, posting the signs may stop the wannabes from moving up into the ranks of the truly stupid.
    For the trully stupid watch Sydney around September. We have the APEC conferance here and theres about 20 world leaders here for it. Every nutcase and their dog will be here. Them signs will need to be plastered everywhere. Sydney has been given a public holiday for the Friday its on and everyones being encouraged to get out of the city so all the rent a crowd will be out in force protesting something.

Matt

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Sounds familiar. Late last year, the announcement that the 12th ASEAN summit was going to be held in Cebu City was followed by the usual measures: armed airport men behind one-way glass, ridiculously overpriced street lighting (this eventually made front page as a case of pockets being lined), four-day (not counting the weekend!) holiday for schools and government offices in three cities, inconvenient road blockage and rerouting, etc. etc.
    Then just a week before the summit, another announcement -- postponement of the gathering-of-leaders for another two months due to...nope, not an uncovered plot by rebels or terrorists but by...a coming storm. And so the madness had to go on a little while longer.
    Last edited by PinayDiver; 06-06-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Typed the wrong summit, they kind of blur
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12