Thread: Womans Wreck Depth Record 160m on oc

Default Womans Wreck Depth Record 160m on oc

Congratulations Nina,

The Jolanda 160 Project aimed to complete a safe and successful dive to a depth of 160 metres on the wreckage of the Jolanda in the Red Sea on oc. The objective was to get the first footage of the Jolanda at depth since it sunk from it's initial shallow resting place to 150m As a bonus it was discovered that by completing the dive, Nina Preisner would obtain the 'Women’s Deepest Wreck Dive' a record, currently held by Adina Ochert with a dive to 144 metres. Nina dived with her buddy, Neil Black.

Have a look at the clip of the dive at www.mydiveproductions.com

James

Country
    USA

James,

Were you involved in any of the video taping of the event?

I really enjoyed your video footage, especially the Nocturnal Clips. I shoot with an 3 CCD Sony FX1 and a Phenom housing with their dual 35-50W HID's and could quite relate to some of the clips where the plankton were going ballistic due to the lighting.

Just yesterday I got in Apple's Final Cut Studio 2 which incorporates Shake's Smoothcam right into it. I will need it for most of the macro shots, especially the Pygmy seahorse footage I shot 2 months ago in the Philippines.

Tough program though.....

Anyway, welcome to the SMN Community by the way!

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    dual 35-50W HID's and could quite relate to some of the clips where the plankton were going ballistic due to the lighting.
    Get them as far away from the lense as possible. It wont stop the critters buzzing them but will have them further from the lense.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I will need it for most of the macro shots, especially the Pygmy seahorse footage I shot 2 months ago in the Philippines.
    Ever thought of a small mono or tri pod? Doesnt have to be fancy and the cheap ones are cheaper to replace when they rust but they will take some of the shake out of the shot. Macro things arent moving fast most of the time so you have time to set up.

Matt

Glad you liked the shots, I filmed all the top side shots and in water down to 60m etc and cut it together. The 160m clip was taken by one of the Tec divers, I a clipped a small running camera on to Neil in a home made housing did not fancy sending my gates down to that depth. When they hit the wreck Neil unclipped the camera took a couple of shots of Nina on the wreck and the obligatory computer shot Neil re clipped the camera and they started there ascent. The total bottom time was 3 minutes @ 159.8.

Am going down the CCR ( Meg) route this year as I am wanting to be able to film some deep wrecks.

Have you seen this camera a friend has one on order I want one http://www.red.com/index.php

James

www.mydiveproductions.com

Country
    USA

I keep the lights spread quite wide at night, and turn them down from daytime 50 watts to 35 as they are just too bright at night. Doesn't make a difference as far as plankton going ballistic, the lights have a wide beam angle and flood so heavily that a lot of the night diving non-photo crowd like to follow me around as they can turn off their night dive lights. And that is WITH the opaque white diffusers on!

diagram.jpg

I have seen the above Red, really interesting format and camera....looks like a robo-cam......For the $ though I am like the new Sony XDCAM EX full HD cam about the size of my FX1.

sony_xdcam_ex.jpg

Amphibico thinks they can squeeze that slighter shorter and slightly wide camera in their Phenom aluminum extrusion.

Today I have been fiddling with Final Cut Studio before I can get some newbie lessons going.....I took a clip of a juvenile cuttlefish I shot in the Philippines and applied the SmoothCam filter to it......so far it has taken 2 out of the listed 4 hours to process a single 60 second clip......at that rate, processing 2 clips a day could take me half a year! I have to find out what is up with that as that just can't be right.

Zero, Ultralight Control has made a few one-off U/W tripods, but they weren't interested at the time of making another one. I still need to either have made or make a bracket so it can attach to the bottom of my Phenom Discovery Li-Ion lightpack.

I think Annie Crawley who is a member here has a tripod made by UL.

I am going to talk to UL at the Long Beach California Scuba Show next weekend.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Broom sticks with the right sized screw in them can make cheap monopods. They dont rust either. Try some of the Ti and wierd alloy ones that are around if you want to spend some bucks or ask Leigh Bishop what he uses on his long exposure shots. Manfrotto do an alloy mono that has a removable base the turns into a supported mono. Wouldnt be fully as stable as a tri but its a lot more compact. Not sure about the rust and corrosion issues but there are a few different metals in them.

Matt