Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Flying mantas!

Thread: Flying mantas!

Hybrid View

City
    Clitheroe
    State
    Lancashire
    Country
    Born Scotland / Live England

Default Flying mantas!

Now I want honesty here....has anyone ever seen a manta ray breach??? Firsthand...not," I knew a guy once...."

I've read many, many descriptions of mantas breaking the surface a "gliding", but never seen photos or video footage.

Should this be put down to urban myth/seafaring yarn?

Anyone?
    Last edited by Purpleturtle; 05-21-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Default Breach

I did when I was a teenager. Dad took me out to an island beach around Clearwater, and there was a girl sailboarding about 100 yards away heading away from us. All of the sudden a manta breached behind her and then disappeared. She never saw it cause I'm sure she would have been spooked.

Obviously quite a site to see because I've never forgotten it. It's wingspan was almost as wide as the board she was on.

City
    Clitheroe
    State
    Lancashire
    Country
    Born Scotland / Live England

MMMmmm that vid looks more like eagle rays to me. Maybe I was just trying to picture a 4 metre wingspan manta gliding above the water like an albatross.

What with the BBC getting ultra-slow-motion shots of great whites and humpbacks breaching, I just thought the blue planet team might have filmed flying mantas too.

Yes, it sure doesn't look like mantas to me either.......but then again I've never seen baby mantas.....

I saw a manta backflip in front of the boat on the way back from a dive site at Byron Bay. Only myself and the skipper saw it... but it was an amazing site... and at least I have a witness.

Don

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

I saw a manta breach while relaxing on the boat in between diving Manta Bowl in Ticao, Masbate (Philippines). I also saw a fisherman race towards the spot in a failed attempt to harpoon it. Imagine my range of emotion from awe to anger.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

We see Manta breach often in Puerto Vallarta. No urban myth but exactly why is unknown. Some say it is to clean sea lice off their backs.

City
    Coron Town
    State
    Palawan
    Country
    Philippines

Me and my guests have seen one on January 12, 2008, 1530H that breached twice just a little offshore in a beach area, north of Calumbuyan Island, Busuanga, Northern Palawan, Philippines. Size was around 2'-3'. Sadly, some people here in this part of the world indiscriminately hunt and sell its meat in one of the local markets. It took time (and lots of shouts hurled at us) here to convince those vendors that the species is on the CITES listing and should be protected..
    "Divers do it Deeper"

ReefQuest EcoAdventure and Tours
    Palawan, Philippines