Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Flying mantas!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying mantas!

City
    Clitheroe
    State
    Lancashire
    Country
    Born Scotland / Live England

Default Flying mantas!

Now I want honesty here....has anyone ever seen a manta ray breach??? Firsthand...not," I knew a guy once...."

I've read many, many descriptions of mantas breaking the surface a "gliding", but never seen photos or video footage.

Should this be put down to urban myth/seafaring yarn?

Anyone?
    Last edited by Purpleturtle; 05-21-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Default Breach

I did when I was a teenager. Dad took me out to an island beach around Clearwater, and there was a girl sailboarding about 100 yards away heading away from us. All of the sudden a manta breached behind her and then disappeared. She never saw it cause I'm sure she would have been spooked.

Obviously quite a site to see because I've never forgotten it. It's wingspan was almost as wide as the board she was on.

City
    Clitheroe
    State
    Lancashire
    Country
    Born Scotland / Live England

MMMmmm that vid looks more like eagle rays to me. Maybe I was just trying to picture a 4 metre wingspan manta gliding above the water like an albatross.

What with the BBC getting ultra-slow-motion shots of great whites and humpbacks breaching, I just thought the blue planet team might have filmed flying mantas too.

Yes, it sure doesn't look like mantas to me either.......but then again I've never seen baby mantas.....

I saw a manta backflip in front of the boat on the way back from a dive site at Byron Bay. Only myself and the skipper saw it... but it was an amazing site... and at least I have a witness.

Don

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

I saw a manta breach while relaxing on the boat in between diving Manta Bowl in Ticao, Masbate (Philippines). I also saw a fisherman race towards the spot in a failed attempt to harpoon it. Imagine my range of emotion from awe to anger.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

We see Manta breach often in Puerto Vallarta. No urban myth but exactly why is unknown. Some say it is to clean sea lice off their backs.

yes I have seen mantas breach..right off the jetties here but they are small ones 2'-4' across (and I know the difference between stingray/leopard rays so I can say it was a manta)
    haven't ever seen a big one breach but my dads says he has so I guess it does happen

Talking

Does this count?

Flying Manta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast