Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner help

City
    Marysville
    State
    Washington State (not DC)
    Country
    USA

Very true on $$. The HC7 is one of the best cameras out there, certainly competition for the Canon HV20, which also has great reviews. Interesting that lars2923 uses the HC3 camera, the forerunner to HC5 and HC7. I just purchased a HC3 as B-roll to have a second camera for surface work (got it used in a great deal). The still images are great. Better if not taken during video recording. Can do it either way, but the quality is better. If anyone is near Seattle area, there are 3 of us taking video who are going to do a sharing seminar in the next month or so. I'm sort of leading it, but plan not to teach as in class, but more share. We do have an outline and a good LCD projector to see video on a large screen. If anyone doesn't have a system, I'd be glad to dive with you and let you use this system to try it out. I'm leading a group of 12 to Maui in January and we hope to sharpen our skills before then. We'll also go over computers, editing systems, burning, best codecs for websites, etc. I'm a value guy so like to do things on a tight budget; Gates is great and used by many pros, but out of my $$. Same with Nite Rider lights, mine do great and the pair cost only $315 new, a fraction of all other lights. Another e.g. the Maui trip is $1,400 with lodging, car rental, unlimited air fills, all rental gear, boat dives, and including airfare from Seattle. I certainly envy those with more to invest in video and trips, but I get along. Now I'm recording HD-DVD's on regular $0.35 media. Looking for the next bargain ... Jim
    Jim McGauhey
    Washington State

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by scubajam View Post
    Another option for your HC7 would be Ocean Images. An aluminum housing...
    Ocean Images housings are Poly not Aluminum. From their website:
    Our video camera underwater housing body is precision molded from a high strength polymer.
    They do have an aluminum port mounting option so that may be where the confusion lies...
    Wide angle/Machined aluminum port system
    Just wanted to clarify that due to the differences in depth ratings for poly vs. aluminum housings...+/- 150' vs. over 300' for Amphibico, L&M & Gates.
    Last edited by sjspeck; 10-05-2007 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12