Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Underwater magnifying glasses - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Underwater magnifying glasses

Reef photo.com sells the sealed magnifier (subsea). Single lens magnifiers lose 66% of their power in water and cause distortion. The sealed lenses, according to them do not. Check their add, it shows pictures of the difference. Having used single lens magnifying glasses, I do know that they are underwhelming.

Oh, ok, I think I am getting the picture then that the SubSea is two lenses with air betwen them sealed in the single black cylinder.

That makes sense

ummm Isn't everything bigger underwater to start with?
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

No, they just look bigger.

Then why are guys so hesitant to go skinny dipping when the temperate water will magnify things?!

Who said I have that problem? They are liars!!!
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Then why are guys so hesitant to go skinny dipping when the temperate water will magnify things?!
    I have no problem skinny dipping in any water. Now, of course the cold will overtake the maginification by a long shot......er' short shot.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

I have used the simple glass type mounted in a handle with a hoop to secure the lens--the kind you can buy at a stationer's shop. You cannot get the very cheapest plastic ones, but glass ones work okay if the lens is thick enough to provide at least 4x magnification. You cannot see a whole lot of detail with these, but at least you can *find* a pygmy seahorse on a fan. I would love to have a better one which would allow me to see the detail as well.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post

Certainly none of the guys here worry about anything like that...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Country
    USA

Default Review Complete

We had a chance to use all three underwater magnifiers while diving in the Philippines at El Galleon Resort.

We also had some other divers try all three out and give us their opinions.

I found that the Reefnet distributed model was the most compact of them all. The optics were good, there was no spherical aberrations to speak of, and due to its size, it could be easily lanyarded off to ones wrist or stowed in a BC pocket.

Some of the testers comments were: " I liked the small size and the undistorted image." "I liked the vinyl end protective caps for both optics sides so I didn't worry about throwing it loose along with heavier dive equipment in my gear bag". and "It was small enough to use the attached lanyard to my wrist without it interfering."

The NightSea model had the greatest potential for magnification if the 2nd lens and track was attached to the Mum1 single version. I found for average use, the 2nd optics were not needed, but this model would excel if you were looking for animals smaller than pygmy seahorses. If not, then the less expensive single optics model will suffice. The handle grip on this unit may be better for thick gloved hands compared to the compact SubSea.

Some of the testers comments were; "This was really easy to hold with the non-slip rubber handle grip." "Really durable glass holder, good magnification undistorted, but I kept it in a sock for transport to protect the glass"

The last model tested was from Prescription Dive Masks. This magnifier came with its own retracting lanyard. I found the retractor most suitable for me, but the other models can have a lretractor added. I REALLY liked the fact that this glass was the largest diameter. Of all the units tested, this was the only one large enough where both eyes could focus through the glass when quick scanning. There is a stronger small diopter built into the lower part of the glass for really close in work. This unit comes with a built in plastic handle, but the slim handle is less suitable for abuse if tossed in dive bags with heavy equipment. This unit was less than half the cost of the other two.

Some of the tester comments were; "Love the large size of the glass!" "Easiest to look through as I could use both eyes or one." and "Attached retractor was a nice touch."

We think that you should look over what features you think would be most suitable of the three, and buy that one, but in reality they all worked great and all are a must have for macro photographers and videographers and divers who love to find the tiny critters others overlook.

If Trident sends us one of their large rectangular ones, we'll take that on our next HD video expedition and give it a go on the macro....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast