Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O-rings

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post

As for the cost esculating when annotated as "For SCUBA use", I have to chuckle. The scuba industry has nothing on the aviation industry when it comes to prices!

I know you are dead on with that one!

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    This also depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist - is the glass half-full or half-empty?

Wouldn't that be the other way around? The cheaper the better

Am I pessimist? Nah, you have to think there to be something in the glass to begin with!!! I am of the firm belief that there is a hole in the bottom of the glass, and that all the water drained out!

My training and experience within the aircraft industry has taught me to leave nothing to chance. That includes, letting pilots play with buttons in the cockpit, for they ALWAYS BREAK SOMETHING!!!!! leaving me something else to repair. and I have enough to do without their assistance!!

When one deals with life support equipment, your approach is totally different. It is not IF something will break, but rather WHEN something will break, and it always does!!! So, one must view all mechanical things in that light. My approach then, is to set myself up for the FEWEST failures, and leave as little to chance as possible.

As for being cheap, that is just genetics, and can not be helped. My nose has been rubbed down by the application of said appendage to the grindstone!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    My nose has been rubbed down by the application of said appendage to the grindstone!
    Oy vey - that must have been painful
    Lottie

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I prefer fluoropolymer elastomers such as Viton.

Although I know viton are supposed to be more durable, my understanding is they are a bit of overkill for scuba, especially if you service your gear regularly. And then there is the point brought up by Bama that they get kinda toxic when they go poof.

Amtrosie, isn't it true that viton is not the common material for o-rings in aircraft applications, even in the presence of 100% O2? I thought I read that it is more common to see EPDM?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12