I applaud this housing, but its equivalent (the Backscatter Top Dawg, made by Light & Motion) has been around for ages. I've used FIVE different camera formats in that housing without modification... 8mm, Hi-8, digital-8, ini-DV and now HDV. Of course all cameras were Sony and had a LANC connector.

Was disappointed to see that some of the newest Sony camcorders do not have the LANC connector. I'm not sure about the Canon line (a number of which could be used in the Top Dawg and most likely this housing as well).

Kudos on this product as it offers an additional choice and looks like it may be technically superior to the Top Dawg. The inclusion of the video monitor (an extra on the Top Dawg) is a big plus, especially with the newer HDV camcorders (I assume it displays SD video output from HDV camcorders... possibly even HD output?).

Not sure I like the placement of the controls. They appear awkward to access while holding the housing's handles. I prefer my controls on top of the handles, but should reserve "judgement" until I actually test one of these units.