ok, here are a few thoughts:
as a diving instructor, seeing how courses are instructed, and then watch certified divers dive, and after 80 or 100+ or whatever dives that the recreational diver have, they come to pass a technical course.....
alot of divers today are "holiday divers", unfortunately. and in alot tech courses, the beginning ones, one can see that the divers need work with bouyancy none the less :/ kinda absurd if you ask me.
most divers that i meet today dont even remember how to plan a dive let alone execute it properly, so, that needs to be worked on during the Tech course aswell.
Tech courses are kinda rough on the students cause so many things need to be worked on, new diving habbits need to be formed, new equipment and configurations, more wheight, multi-tasking. reels, lift bags the lot.
also, i find that not all divers that enroll in a tech course are Rescue divers, a fact that bothers me somewhat. so, most places will not accept divers without a Rescue certification.
i personally find Tech diving very different from sport recreational diving.
its a compleately different thing in my eyes, during the tech course the diver is transformed in to a real diver.
if all goes well during the course, the diver then learns how to plan his dives correctly, how to execute them properly, how to check and double check his dive plans and equipment before each dive, the Tech diver knows the importance of the planning, equipmentand execution.
this proccess is very important in my eyes.