Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diving Accident Scenario

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Of course you could detach in time, it is only on your wrist with a rubber coil key chain. It would pull off if you were not holding onto the actual strap normally. It was just a thought anyway.

The more I thought about it, I am starting to think it is a bad idea anyway. My new view on this is to be completely self sufficient so you don't have to rely on your buddy. With a good dive plan including what to do if you get seperated anyway. I remember being taught in basic OW1 class that if you get seperated, look in a circle for 1 minute and if you can't find your buddy/group, start your acent.

We do often get seperated, but panic is never an issue? Why would anyone panic if they lost their buddy? Is their buddy a Underwater Superhero, able to kill Great White Sharks with a single scuba knife and beat decompression with a single breath? Da da da dumm....It is It's Scuba Duba Dude to the rescue.....

I'll save you Steve Irwin....

well it is your wife can't you just hold hands?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Eew, and get cooties......LOL

We have, but that gets old really quickly. Considering all of our gear, it usually is not practical. It is hard to use a light, adjust your bc, add air or vent air from the drysuit, etc when holding hands all with THICK gloves on. Remember we are talking 40 degree water temps and 0-3 feet of visibility.

sounds like you need to find a nice tropical resort to go diving Cold cold water and no vis sounds like fun

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Self sufficiency and a good dive plan along with situational awareness are probably what would work best, instead of tying yourself to the other person so you won't get separated. You are right, what is the panic if you get separated, as long as you are self sufficient? I mean, it's not desireable if you are working as a team, but it's not reason for panic. TDI has that solo diver course, but I think there should be a course called something like "Underwater Self Sufficiency" that would cover similar topics. It would make a person a much better buddy instead of a liability underwater.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Im all for the being self sufficient. It cant hurt to both have a dive plan and dive together but also know that you are doing it solo. If your buddy goes missing they are in the same boat as you and you meet at the exit instead of surfacing to look for each other.

Matt

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Doesn't it depend on the mission? Is it a recreational dive, training dive, or Salvage? That really dictates the dive plan, if you doing a rec dive in those conditions then I can see not making it a multiple up and down dive looking for your buddy. I think I would use a lanyard or call the dive! If you are there for a purpose then you need to adapt your plan to your skill level based on the risk!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12