Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. Warns on Indonesia Flight Safety

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Having availed myself of the air transport system within Indonesia for many years, I would stick with Garuda (the national carrier). Although they were the carrier of record in this last tragic accident, they are, in my opinion the best of some rather poor choices. They used to have the national military pilots fly in the "right" seat to build time and proficiency. At the time the military pilots recieved training at some point, from Auatralian or US military sources. It was some-what humorous to see a civilian clad individual still using flight gloves to operate the aircraft. Try not to dwell on the negative possibilities, but rather enjoy the most beautiful country in the world.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by phrenicnerve View Post
    My trip from Nadi to Savusavu Fiji was hair raising. It was raining when we got on the plane and that rain water was leaking through the roof.
    The descent into Savusavu was completely an Indiana Jones type of moment!

Welcome to the Pacific Islands
    I was getting a flight from Gizo to Honiara in The Solomon Islands a few years ago when we were told the plane was over weight and a few bags would have to be left behind. As we were connecting to an international flight our bags stayed on and some of the locals were punted. The only worry was our bags were weighed with my mates toe uder the scales to keep the weight down. They got down to an agreeable weight for the plane and pilot but we were still ****ting bricks on take off knowing there was an extra couple hundred kilos that they never knew about. That plane lumbered down the old grass strip and was very close to the end of the island when it took off much to all on boards relief.

Matt

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Welcome to the Pacific Islands
    . The only worry was our bags were weighed with my mates toe uder the scales to keep the weight down. They got down to an agreeable weight for the plane and pilot but we were still ****ting bricks on take off knowing there was an extra couple hundred kilos that they never knew about. That plane lumbered down the old grass strip and was very close to the end of the island when it took off much to all on boards relief.

Matt

A popular musician here in the US was leaving out of the Bahamas and did not want to leave anything behind, so they threw all baggage on....."the crash site was littered with baggage......and bodies".

One is quick to critisize the antiquated air transport system of third world countries, and even quicker to DEMAND thier right to personal comfort.

I think it prudent to point out that these weight rules are not arbitrary, but are, in reality, immutible rules of physics that the various carrier's are adhering to. Kind of like......Boyles Law, is this Law of physics something we flaunt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12