Thread: Equipment Insurance Recommendations?

Hybrid View

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

The biggest problems with DAN insurance are (and these may also to apply to others, I don't know):

1. DAN insurance is secondary to any other existing insurance, so your going to have to use your homeowner's anyway, at least to the limit that it will pay.
    2. DAN issuance is the sole determiner of the value of your loss, there is an "appeal" process through appraisals, which you have to pay half of.
    3. There is an "inherent vice" clause ( INHERENT VICE is a loss caused by the inherent nature of the thing insured and not the result of a casualty or external cause) which means that they could deny a claim for a flooded item based on the fact that flooding is an "inherent vice."
    4. Consider these two items together: excluded is unexplained loss, mysterious disappearance or shortage disclosed upon taking inventory; as are items lost while in your care, custody and control - while in use both in and out of the water, dropped overboard or swept over-board.
    I'll stick with scheduling my gear on my homeowner's with a pre-established value, all risks, worldwide. They're going to be the first payee anyway.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default DAN equipment insurance isn't available everywhere

I'm a member of DAN Asia Pacific, and our region doesn't offer equipment protection. I buy DEPP.