Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Insurance Recommendations?

Default Equipment Insurance Recommendations?

I know DAN offers something although I don'tknow the details, but there are others.

www.awryinc.com. The one I use is their DEPP program. Has equipment and flood insurance.

Registered Users

You may consider DAN, PADI or travel insurance

Registered Users

Default DAN Ins is the best

As an Intructor and boat captain for 4 years in the Florida Keys I have seen DAN come to the plate time after time. They are a great resource and they do everything they say they will. I personally use the preferred and it runs about 100 per year.
    Ken

Registered Users

Equipments insurance from DAN's site redirect to an insurance provider not belongs to DAN, probably not related either. You state your equipments and the replacement cost at your judgement and pay them credit card online and you are insure. It's about $99 /year for insuring up to about 3,300. Beyond the 3,300, the premium goes up proportionally. I insure with them and have not file any claim yet. I have read negative story about filing claim though.

I have used DAN and am currently using DEPP. Why the change? DAN does not insure against a dive boat accidentally dropping your rig while handing it up or down. That, in my opinion, is as much a possibility as flooding when you spend any time on a liveaboard, or any boat for that matter. Yes, DEPP is more expensive, but if your rig is dropped, you get nothing from DAN.

Lately, DEPP has had some comments about slow response to claims. I have not needed to make any claims, and hope I never will. Maybe others can say how these claims went.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

I currently have DAN with the equipment add-on (preferred?). & so far so good. Haven't had to file a claim yet.

Then again I only carry what I need and have given up on schlepping and stressing over additional fancy Foto/Video equipment. If I did decide to carry all that stuff again, I would definitely buy additional insurance just for the equipment. With decent digital becoming so much more affordable and accessible to everyone, I found that there are always more than 2 photographers in the group that can take decent underwater fotos. The additional bonus (to less stress & less schelpping like a camel) would be that I would occassionally be in the photos too!

I am currently a big fan of the snappy-happy. It's fast, easy & inexpensive. & don't fall for the 2-in-1 line; always bring a separate topside camera.

As for the actual type of insurance:
    read the fine print. Some do not cover you until you touch water, your SI (computer accidentally knocked overboard), another diver slipping and falling on your mask/foot etc. The same insurance changes each year so it's also a good idea to read the "changes to your coverage" letter they send out periodically just to be sure.

On another thread re insurance: Do you have current dive insurance? - Page 3 - ScubaMagazine.net Forum

BTW DAN equipment insurance is not availabe to Canadian DAN members.

Good luck, enjoy and be careful.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 02-19-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added link

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

I've generally found that scheduling equipment on your homeowners or renters policy is a better approach. Three things to be careful of, have an agreed value of each item and make sure that flooding of a computer or other housing is not considered and "inherent vice," and be sure that turning around and finding that it fell overboard is not "mysterious disappearance."

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Buy real flood insurance through DAN or PADI, don't rely on your home owners insurance where even if it covered you will have to deal with adjusters that know nothing about your equipment! Also many Platinum Credit cards extend warranties and even have loss protection! Check your fine print! I use DAN a associate for my Camera equipment and list everything at market value and not what you paid for it because they will reimburse replacement cost only minus a deductible! You also have rules that depend on whether your on a common carrier or private transportation! If the DM drops your camera you maybe covered a couple of ways! If your equipment is lost or damaged in an accident it matters, so know what your buying and how it pays off! DAN top policy will pay you for lost gear during an emergency, so know before you go or buy! As far as your home owners please check with your agent, that conversation alone may convince you to go with a good H2O carrier! My insurance bill for camera gear is over 1200.00 per year!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

The biggest problems with DAN insurance are (and these may also to apply to others, I don't know):

1. DAN insurance is secondary to any other existing insurance, so your going to have to use your homeowner's anyway, at least to the limit that it will pay.
    2. DAN issuance is the sole determiner of the value of your loss, there is an "appeal" process through appraisals, which you have to pay half of.
    3. There is an "inherent vice" clause ( INHERENT VICE is a loss caused by the inherent nature of the thing insured and not the result of a casualty or external cause) which means that they could deny a claim for a flooded item based on the fact that flooding is an "inherent vice."
    4. Consider these two items together: excluded is unexplained loss, mysterious disappearance or shortage disclosed upon taking inventory; as are items lost while in your care, custody and control - while in use both in and out of the water, dropped overboard or swept over-board.
    I'll stick with scheduling my gear on my homeowner's with a pre-established value, all risks, worldwide. They're going to be the first payee anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast