View Poll Results: Can a Regulator Reduce Gas Consumption by 38-44%?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's Physically Impossible

4 14.81%
  • I'm Sceptical But Open to Being Wrong

18 66.67%
  • If True, I'd Never Use a Standard Regulator Again

3 11.11%
  • I'd Sign a Faustian Deal To Get My Hands On One

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolutionary New Regulator

Administrator

Default Revolutionary New Regulator

We just had some discussions Thursday with one of our higher up contacts at a dive equipment manufacturer.

They are in the field testing phase right now with a regulator they claim is consistently demonstrating that it reduces the users gas consumption by 38-44%. That means using an Al 80 cf would be like having a steel 120, or if you use a steel 105 it would be like now having a 150 cf tank.

They state that they think with more development and tuning, they can get the gas consumption figure up to a 50% reduction.

They stated that they know the idea sounds impossible, but it is real, and it is in use right now by test divers and the percentages mentioned are real.

They discussed with us that the technology is simplistic, in execution and inexpensive to produce.

Right now they are working on getting the technology patented, and if that is successful, they think that it will be the most revolutionary dive equipment innovation ever.

Ok, so we think CCR's fit the most revolutionary bill, but they are not for the masses, whereas this regulator is said to be. We're were advised it looks pretty much like a standard single hose regulator and ergonomically was just like a standard reg.

The conversation was interesting in that on its face we too are completely sceptical which is just one of the reasons we're witholding their name, but they are a huge, well known dive equipment company that has been around for a long time and has a huge capital base.

And for the last teaser, they are probably not who you think.

Discussion?

heck any regulator can reduce gas consumption 100 % if it wont work.. so then If I used a regulator that reduce my gas at depth to zero then I would never have to use another regulator again...

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I volunteer to be a test diver with this reg! Give them my name!!

Lightbulb

Painkilllers against headache included ?
    Buy a nice camera, relax, d'ont race around the reefs and youre consumption will improve.lol

I am a an overweight guy and pretty much out of shap to many standards but I almost always have more air left over from dives than many of the super fit athletic types I have dove with. And when I was doing the hard hat thing I saw these same guys get bent doing less work under the same depth I was....all I am saying is that I am built for comfort not speed...

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

we would love to test them under hard scientific dive work.
    how do i get to know more about this ?

Country
    USA

I had a chance to ask some more questions about this regulator. The person whom I spoke with has not seen the unit himself, it is only the info he is getting from his higher ups.

I did joke with him that so far I haven't signed on yet, as I need to keep my tech credibility, or what little of it I have at least, intact before our members.

Like the rest here who believe it is physically impossible, I did explain that there is only a certain respiratory volume in a given person, and since the most efficient way to breathe we are taught are full breaths.

So we know the reason behind the full breaths is due to the waste of a certain percentage in the airways where oxygen is not exchanged. THAT is the only place where any conceivable waste takes place, and therein is exactly what I am told is targeted.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Sign me up too. I'd be their guinea pig. My SAC has been the same since day 1.

Registered Users

Default The tuber

The device sends a tube down into the trachea.
    Eliminates almost all of the deadspace. Yet, I do not see
    30-40% of my wasted air to be in deadspace, so what else could it be...

The new hoseless regulator...
    Its finally arrived.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

very funny... it's pretty simple just crank down the adjustments and make it next hard to take a breath. It's not as nice but it helps a little, very little. This post is a few months old so any new info?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast