Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coral Scrapes

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    tourists (in the 70s-80s) liked sitting on the massive table corals, clowning around for a souvenir photo.
    Basically doing a Derek Zoolander on the sealife right?

That really get my blood boiling when I walk into a DS and see "class photos" lined up on the wall with all the students popping out of a giant sea sponge like a jack-in-the-box, surrounded by other students waving snapped-off seafans. And these are recent OW classes!

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

That makes two of us, LL. On my Facebook page (in one application that allows contacts to anonymously describe me), somebody typed, "coral police." Evidently, I'm the one who obviously gets the long face when fins/bad bouyancy hit corals (or when divers pick up anything for show-and-tell or rather, to show off). I actually heard one DM say during his briefing, "Lay off the corals, Lu-Ann wouldn't like that," as if that was enough to reign them in I don't mind being the Kill Joy, somebody has to be
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

The surfer remedy is to scrub it with sand and flush it out.

"Scrub it, kook"

Then, hit it with the antibiotic ointment.

City
    CULASI
    Country
    PHILIPPINES

Default Fire Coral Scrapes and such

Okay, this is the tried and true method but it is not without a bit of "PAIN".

The best way to remove those daggers that were injected into your skin is to scrape them out. Ouch, I know. Okay, here goes the technique. Get yourself a plastic comb with teeth that are close together, rubbing alcohol, NEOSPORIN, spray lanacaine, papertowels, and a piece of hardwood stick (just kidding). Wash the wound with warm water first. Then scrape the comb through the wound. This will pull the stingers. Immediately wash the comb with alcohol and scrape again. After that coat the wound in NEOSPORIN. Go sit down and cry in a dark room by yourself!!
    PADI #481247
    WELCOME TO CULASI, ANTIQUE, PHILIPPINES
    Soon we will open the doors to the only SCUBA diving resort in the area. Come see our part of the Sulu Sea.

OWSI /EFRI / SPECIALTY INSTRUCTOR
    www.panayexplorers.com

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

An once of prevention as they say! I always carry gloves regardless of some stupid rule by some government wonk! Just hide them in a pocket until needed and don't make a big deal of it! I have learned it does no good to ask, better to be forgiven and warned! Some of us just don't learn! LOL Having said that as long as you have demonstrated to the DM you ability to stay off their coral they won't care, just don't flaunt them to the DM and the other divers by waving as you pass another boat! But with Fire Corals ability to grow on mooring lines as well as Hydroids it is better to have the gloves as a safety issue. The best thing to say if challenged is you have an allergy! Who's to say?
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

By the way, coral cuts are great for creating festering staph infections so if it doesn't get better, let a doctor check you out.

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I've seen a 5c piece coral cut turn into a near amputation in three days! The guy got staph and we were in the arse end of PNG, luckily he kept the leg but it still looks a mess after two months. Get it looked at asap, get betadine on coral cuts as soon as they happen and keep a close eye on them.
    There is actually a great cream that you can buy in some countries, it's called mercurichrome... works a treat but remember that it is basically mercury and chrome hence why it isn't sold in a lot of countries. I used it on bad coral cuts when surfing, best advice when diving, don't touch the coral! It funny when people say there is a current they have to hold on... rubbish you just have swim harder when your not on the bottom and if you can't do that abort the dive... don't rip off half the reef.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shaw View Post
    I've seen a 5c piece coral cut turn into a near amputation in three days! The guy got staph and we were in the arse end of PNG, luckily he kept the leg but it still looks a mess after two months. Get it looked at asap, get betadine on coral cuts as soon as they happen and keep a close eye on them.
    There is actually a great cream that you can buy in some countries, it's called mercurichrome... works a treat but remember that it is basically mercury and chrome hence why it isn't sold in a lot of countries. I used it on bad coral cuts when surfing, best advice when diving, don't touch the coral! It funny when people say there is a current they have to hold on... rubbish you just have swim harder when your not on the bottom and if you can't do that abort the dive... don't rip off half the reef.

Exactly, there is NO excuse!

As far as the mercurichrome, I have not seen that in a long time, but we did have it when I was a kid. It had a very strong red color to it that stained things and it was a liquid and not a cream. I also remembered it burned so badly when applied to a cut, so be ready for that. I suppose the reason I have not seen it in a long time is maybe they don't sell it in the US any longer???

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The only places I have seen it are in Indonesia... I'm sure it aint good for you and yeah it does sting like hell.
    Last edited by Jon Shaw; 02-02-2008 at 10:21 PM.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shaw View Post
    The only places I have seen it are in Indonesia... I'm sure it aint good for you and yeah it does sting like hell.
    Damn, I was always covered in that stuff as a kid. Maybe that's what happened to me . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast