Thread: ACL question

Default ACL question

Anyone blown an ACL (I mean detached from the femur)? If so how long until you were able to dive again? Supposedly I get a slightly used one from a cadaver...

Dave

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
    Supposedly I get a slightly used one from a cadaver...

Dave

Make sure the warrenty will cover extended use in higher ambient pressure enviroments. The "slightley used" thing would definately call for a further investigation!

Default New option

Anyone heard about a patella tendon transplant with bone attached from the good knee to the blown one? This is advertised as a better option with half the time for recovery. This will probably be my option unless I hear something negative.

SD

Default Acl

I have had my left ACL done twice now... I know to get back into just straight line work took 3-6 months.. although to get back into twisting and external pressure was closer to 12 months.. I can't see the actual diving being too much of a problem... but getting to the water over uneven ground could pose a problem.
    Good luck with the op... things have also come a long way since my last op.. so these times may have been reduced significantly...

Default It can be done.

Week on the Nekton Pilot doing 4 dives minimum daily, one long cave exploration and a trip through a Mayan ruin complex proves that the ACL is not necessarily required with the proper amount of vet rap.

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

You'll be fine soon. I had one of my hamstring tendons used to replace my ACL because the patellar tendon method can lead to extensive pain in those of us who stay active (as per my sister a physical therapist). She was not incorrect that my hamstring method would allow me my regular activity (marathon running and scuba).

Here was my progress (surgery 8 weeks before my wedding, had to progress quickly:
    1 day: bending to keep flexibility and prevent scar tissue buildup
    1 week: walking slowly with crutches to keep balance
    1 Month: Running slowly (10 minute mile) on a treadmill; balance board for 5 minutes
    2 month: Running faster (8 minute mile) on a treadmill; balance board for 15 minutes; closed-circuit exercises with weight resistance
    3 months: Running for longer time at 8 minute mile; regular activity that requires no lateral movements, sudden starts and stops; DID SCUBA ON HONEYMOON 9 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY (BEACH ENTRY/EXIT); went horseback riding
    4 months: regular activity

Good luck!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
    ... DID SCUBA ON HONEYMOON 9 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY (BEACH ENTRY/EXIT); ...
    Good luck!
    And here I thought I was doing great when I resumed diving 10 weeks after having my hip replaced. Amazing what a bit of motivation coupled with good physical therapy can accomplish.