Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel with long blades question

Registered Users

Question Travel with long blades question

Just got back from DEMA - traveled with my long blades as carry on in my soft bag and realized it was a major pain to deal with.

I was thinking that an inexpensive hard rifle case like this one would be the perfect solution to travel with my long blades since these cases are usually available in assorted lengths that can accommodate the fins. Then I could just check the bag in and the blades would be protected from damage in transit.

Anyone have experience with this and have any recommendations on a cheap case source?

That case was pretty cheap, or maybe look at a local sporting goods store or gun shop to save on shipping.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I guess you could rip out the padding to have room for other gear. I don't think the padding would be necessary for the fins. I bet those freediving fins must be a real problem to pack!

You could always "wear them" and they would not be a carry on anymore. Maybe get some string and then hang them over your shoulder like a purse. Then just put them under the seat after you board. JUST DON'T FORGET THEM!!!!

Registered Users

I found a similar case at MalWart for less than $23.00. After removing the foam padding, I can fit my blades, mask, snorkel, 3mm or 5mm suit, gloves and booties inside. The case is airline approved and can be locked with TSA approved locks so I'm going to utilize this on my next trip and see how it works for traveling.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I don't think the padding would be necessary for the fins.
    When you mentioned about blades, i didn't realise you were talking about fins.
    <Lottie leaves the room shaking her head>
    Lottie

Registered Users

Lol..

MalWart..........very funny

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    When you mentioned about blades, i didn't realise you were talking about fins.
    <Lottie leaves the room shaking her head>

Lottie,

If you ever see a set of freedivers "fins" you will completely understand why they call them "blades". They are insanely long!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Well Ace, that is why i didn't realise Freediver was speaking about fins, as i've never seen a freediver's fins...er...flippers...er..I mean....blades.

Hence my post
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I know you did know what he was talking about, I was just telling you and anyone else that the freediver "fins" are really long.

Now Freediver, I do have a question, what is the reason for such long fins? How about the mono-fin I see some freedivers with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast