Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Do you put your mask under or over your hood - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you put your mask under or over your hood

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba View Post
    Pink it's the color of choice for those who understand and appreciate that there is more than black.

Cheers
    Missy is entitled to wear what she wants color wise... I still dive with her on occasion. I know you do too, Joel.

However, I have a serious question related to the color blue... specifically on wet suits. I have never had a wetsuit that had blue fabric on it last very long. I don't know if the blue fabrics are more sensitive to UV or what, but they fall apart quickly in my experience (sometimes within 25 dives). The black neoprene is still in great shape.

I'm the poster boy for non-DIR diving, but I think my next few wetsuits will be all black... no blue (or pink, sorry Missy!).
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

What do you do if you're not wearing a hood? Staples?

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    What do you do if you're not wearing a hood? Staples?

25% of your body heat is lost through your head. You should be wearing at least a thin hood, even if its one of those 1mil things. I have a 2mill hoded vest I wear most of the time when diving wet.

If the water is that warm where no hood at all is needed 90f then just put the mask on, put the breathing thing in your mouth, the feet things on your feet and go diving.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBill View Post
    However, I have a serious question related to the color blue... specifically on wet suits. I have never had a wetsuit that had blue fabric on it last very long. I don't know if the blue fabrics are more sensitive to UV or what, but they fall apart quickly in my experience (sometimes within 25 dives). The black neoprene is still in great shape.
    I've always heard that blue paint (such as on vehicles) tends to fade sooner than other colors.. Looked all over this site- http://www.cis.rit.edu/fairchild/Why...r/shortAs.html -to find something about color fading, but didn't see anything about blue specifically.. It did mention that the colorants used in some dyes and fabrics affect the fade-ability (I dont think that's a word, but hey- it works) of paint, clothing, etc... so... stick to black!
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba View Post

If the water is that warm where no hood at all is needed 90f then just put the mask on, put the breathing thing in your mouth, the feet things on your feet and go diving.
    I'm pretty cold-blooded, er--- cold-natured---I tend to get really cold, really easily... but while diving in Cozumel's 80F degree water with no hood, I never got cold... My dives all ran between 48- 87 minutes, 3-4 dives a day...

Now... California diving

Oh... and I had a neoprene strap on my mask in Coz.... and my hair didn't get tangled.
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    ¿Dónde está?

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDiveGirl View Post
    Um J....I like my silly neoprene straps on my masks.... (the neoprene helps keep the hair from getting tangled)...

But you did learn me to put my neoprene strap under my hood.....
    are these what you are talking about earlier? i think these ones have more secure strap (w/ locks) rather than the ones w/ just velcro.

but i prefer the one where you just slip the rubber/silicone strap in between the neoprene cover. therefore still having the sturdy strap w/ less hair tangling and easy to put on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by santelmo; 04-12-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by santelmo View Post
    are these what you are talking about earlier? i think these ones have more secure strap (w/ locks) rather than the ones w/ just velcro.
    but i prefer the one where you just slip the rubber/silicone strap in between the neoprene cover. therefore still having the sturdy strap w/ less hair tangling and easy to put on.
    The ones with velcro are just as bad, if not worse, than just the plain strap...
    I use the ones that just slide on and cover the strap..
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    ¿Dónde está?

Registered Users

This is a great subject. I never wear a hood and many times when I get back on the boat....well after the SI....and everyone is putting on their BC's on....I'm frantically looking for my Mask.....earlier this year I set in in a tank hold...with divers coming back on board....grabbed it before the tank squashed it I'll start to think twice....probably put in my bag.

Default Noob speaks sense

Have newly qualified from OW and done 4 dives. On 2 of these I have had to remove my hood twice due to it causing probs with my mask. I absolutely agree from now on I will only dive with the mask inside the hood.

As an after thought 17 degrees celcius without a hood is no probs, in fact it was quite refreshing but I wouldnt like to go too much colder

Registered Users

Default outside

outside the hood
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123