View Poll Results: What about diving appeals to you the most?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like seeing marine life in person

8 40.00%
  • The technical aspects appeal to me

0 0%
  • Breathing underwater is really cool & my tubs too shallow

6 30.00%
  • I'm part of naturist outdoor adventure social group

1 5.00%
  • I am Cousteu & Lloyd Bridges reincarnated

5 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it about diving you like?

Default Hmmm.....

I must agree, When i was a kid, I used to sit, totally entranced, in front of the television watching the "undersea world of Jacques Cousteau". My family had a Three acre "pond" in the front yard and every summer when I was 5 and up I would get put in a life jacket a m/s/f and dropped into the water for the day. I could swim through the pond weeds and see all kinds of fish...Only allowed to watch TV in the winter and when there was anything under water on I would grab the mask/snorkel/ fins and sit on the floor in my rescue raft and watch...now I sit in my recliner hooked up to my tank instead of the snorkle...j/k... but one of my favorite things about diving has to be the ol'fart in the wet suit.....it just plain tickels....

the reason i enjoy this sport is that we as divers get to see a part of this world that not many people world wide get to see. granted our sport is growing everyday, but a lot of people most likely will not strap on a b.c. or dive gear. and we are blessed with the encounters of the wild life in there tetatory and on there terms. being able to see the animals of the deep blue in the wild and NOT in some cage is what i like about diving, that and some make for great pictures and memories that won't be easily be forgotten.

Registered Users

For me the animals are my first reason to dive. Growing up my family thought I was going to become a biologist of some sort because I was catching everything that came my way (snakes got me into trouble but I love them too), and you couldn't bribe me to get out of the water. My whole life I have obsessed about the ocean and aquariums, even spent money on aquariums when I shouldn't have - just so I could sit below it at night with the aquarium light on and stare up at the fish as if I were underwater. I jumped at the chance to actually scuba dive because it was obvious that it was what I was looking for. Water in general is comforting to me - even better to be floating weightless in it while staring up through hundreds of fish or kelp and having a relaxing swim. I still have many dives to do - night dives with mantas, diving with sharks, other big game fish as well as all the tiny creatures. Everything down there is fascinating and seems as if from another planet completely.

As far as where to dive and why is kinda difficult for me. I mean I spend time on airline ticket sights just to investigate what it will cost to fly to random places around the world to dive. Since I dove in Fiji last summer, southern california isn't exactly as exciting anymore, although I will still jump at the chance to go out this summer as much as possible.

I would say my interest is equally the animals and the nature of the underwater landscape now. I want to gear up for videography so I can load my movies into my mac's and start editing and scoring them with my own music.
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

I just like being underwater.

Also, I can get away from my nagging mother. Quiet at last!

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

I like being able to goof off on 7/10th more of the planets surface, that's why!
    One thing that comes to mind (of many, I confess) is diving off of Catalina island with my buddy Pat. Catalina, for you out of area folk, is located off the coast of Southern California.
    It is known for cold, clear water, as well as large quantity of fish, kelp forests and wrecks. The island drops off at a steep angle; mostly you dive the sides of the island unless there is something interesting on the sand at +/- 130 feet.
    We were exploring in 80 feet, with maybe 60 feet of visibility when I saw a
    30" horned shark. This little bottom feeder is harmless, unless you are a shrimp or something; anyway he got good and mad when I picked him up and held onto him with both hands.
    Pat came up to investigate, and noticed "Sharky" wiggling around trying to bite me with his little nubby teeth.
    Pat then had the bright idea to pull his glove halfway off, and offered the fingertips to the aforementioned predator.
    Sharky chomped down; Pat pulled his hand out of his glove and began to laugh.

That was nothing compared to my laughter as I let go of Sharky, and he swam away quickly with Pats glove...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    I just like being underwater.

Also, I can get away from my nagging mother. Quiet at last!
    Hey we have something in common....be careful.....I don't like you diving...you better never dive alone again....

But what always amazes me is the first step of two exiting a dive and how heavy all this stuff to put it nicely weighs. You kind of forget about it during the dive.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    .....I don't like you diving...you better never dive alone again....
    You dive with your mommy? aw...how sweet

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    But what always amazes me is the first step of two exiting a dive and how heavy all this stuff to put it nicely weighs. You kind of forget about it during the dive
    Each time I wonder why I do this, when all geared up and rocking back and forth on the boat in the heat waiting for my turn. Or when I first get into the42F water

no not with my mommy..... by myself

42 deg F would give you a shock. I'm going to have to get use to colder water, not quite 42, because I'm moving to N. Cal for school. Hopefully my new wetsuit will keep me warm.
    Last edited by hbh2oguard; 12-12-2007 at 03:03 AM.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

You should be out of school by now How about an update to lets us know if you're still diving and having fun!?
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12