Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Box Jellyfish
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Box Jellyfish

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

Default Box Jellyfish

ive read on the internet that box jellyfish are found around Australia and here in the Philippines. True enough, we've spotted a few here in Palawan. 1 when my mom was boarding a pump boat. good thing she saw it first before making another step. it was right in front of her. a small one (the size of a thumb) but still deady.

the second one was found at snake island....some boat men/ guides took it out of the water... according to our guide/ boat man it was as big as his thigh...pretty huge..and deadly..

locally box jellyfish are termed as Salabay.

we've also seen a lot of moon jellyfish and other gross looking ones but im much concerned w/ box jelly. i hate jellyfish... yuck... they look pretty underwater but still..... eeewww! hahaha better bring a lot of vinegar....
    Last edited by santelmo; 04-05-2007 at 02:57 AM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

When I was in the Bahamas last year, there were a few moon jellyfish and also what we call Sea Gooseberry's ... little round jellyfish that look like translucent grapes. Up here we don't notice either variety stinging at all. But people were getting out of the water down there with huge painful welts on their bodies. I didn't seem to get stung at all, although I'm sure I contacted them many times. The Gooseberry's for sure were impossible to avoid. Could they have been getting stung from something else, or can you build up an immunity to the nematocysts?

City
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

eeew... ive seen 1 or 2 of those. although i did not see much movement from them. according to some articles comb jellies/ sea-gooseberries have non-poisonous tentacles and they don't sting... maybe they got stung by other kinds of jellies like the sea nettle?

i wonder....w/c is more deadly the box jelly, the Portuguese man-of-war or a huge 8 foot Lion's Mane jelly? yuck...

i do see a lot of lotions that prevent jelly stings being sold in the market particularly in dive shops. most common is sting-goes? i wonder if it really works?

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Diving in West Australia, you get used to seeing jellyfish, especially in the Swan River in Perth. Mostly Moon and Brown spotted jellies they can be the most common thing that you'll see. We do get a variety of Box jelly here but its sting is relatively mild, a bit like a nettle sting, if that means anything to you.
    Over on Australia's east coast, the Sea Wasp and Irkunji (sp?) can be major problems. The venom itself is not what kills you but the excruciating pain can cause you to go into shock or convulse and you drown. In areas of N. Queensland special "Stinger suits" are commonly sold in beachfront shops. These are basically all over pantyhose which provide enough of a barrier between yourself and the stinging cells to eliminate the danger.
    It may not fit the macho, adventerous diver image to be seen pulling pantyhose on before a dive but its a useful excuse when your wife finds them in the back of the car.!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Well, being isn't very macho either!

I have never heard of such suits....got to find some photos now....

City
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

ive seen some pics of those overall pantyhose suits....hahaha they look funny. i prefer the full suits made from rash guard fabric...

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Yeh, wouldn't a lycra or 1mm suit do the same thing, and still maintain the macho factor?

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    Yeh, wouldn't a lycra or 1mm suit do the same thing, and still maintain the macho factor?
    Depends on the color and pattern... A pink flowered suit might not look very macho...... *grin*
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Hmmm ... you may be right ... okay, so a 1mm suit with the arms cut off and a picture of a gun or a monster truck silkscreened across the back . . .

City
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    Hmmm ... you may be right ... okay, so a 1mm suit with the arms cut off and a picture of a gun or a monster truck silkscreened across the back . . .
    arms cut off? what about the jelly stings???? hahahaha the slikscreened monster truck and a gun would do just fine...hahaha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast