Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Poseidon's new Tech backplate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poseidon's new Tech backplate

Registered Users
    City
    Makati
    Country
    Philippines

I don't DIR (or at least I haven't taken a course), but this backplate, called platform, certainly looks too complicated to work with. That 3-point waist buckle looks like something out of a toddler's car seat. It isn't designed for the wings to be sandwiched in between the backplate and the tank either, instead the wing seems to bolt on to the edge of the plate, making for a disaster waiting to happen if it comes loose. Poseidon makes some great equipment, i love the regs. I think this one is a loser though.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post

What do you think?
    One of the reasons for using a stainless backplate is to take weight from the waist and move it closer to your center of gravity. Same with weighted STA, heavy backplates, etc. Not so much an issue for warm water divers in thin suits, but a real issue for cold water divers.

The buckle is an abomination. Absolutely unlike anything else in the industry; if you ever got into trouble any diver coming across you would be wasting precious time trying to figure out how to release it. *Everyone* is trained to configure your realease so that a diver can come up behind you, reach around with the right hand, find and pull the release.

One of the beautiful things about diving with people with backplates, wings and Hogarthian systems is that I know their gear, they know mine. I know where everything is, how to get them out of it should the need arise.

Innovation for the sake of innovation, change for the sake of change is often a step sideways or backwards, and sometimes potentially dangerous.

This is one of those things that both divers in a buddy team would have to do drills on and re-train the brain and muscle memory.

Two thumbs down.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    The backplate is not carbon fiber, the weave appearance is a surface finish process to make it look like CFRP.

The harness buckle rotates to release.
    So what material is it, and why would they want to make "something" look like carbon fibre that isnt?

For the same reason manufacturers claim their wetsuits are lined with titanium.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post

What do you think?
    Urban backpack & chastity belt in one? Fantastic for the New York Rocky Horror Masquerade Party I've been invited to.

Registered Users
    City
    Boksburg
    State
    Gauteng
    Country
    Republic of South-Africa

I would not take that plastic dinky toy into a cave.
    I love my Stainless Backplate and solid 1 piece webbing.

Country
    Canada

certainly interesting. I wonder what they had in mind when they were designing this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12