Thread: PrincetonTec Miniwave

Hybrid View

Default PrincetonTec Miniwave

I picked up a PrincetonTec Miniwave LED cheap the other day - my question is this:

Can you use NiMH batteries in the Miniwave? - the reason I ask this is that there is a rechargable version of the torch for considerably more $$$. From what I can see the rechargable model comes with "Industrial Nicad Battery Pack, and Charger" - they also state that the rechargable models can simply be converted to a "non recharge" model by simply using alkaline batteries. My assumption is that it is the same torch - except you are paying more for the batteries and charger, and that you should be able to use NiMH batteries in the "standard" model.

If someone can help - it would be appreciated - as I have sent 3 messages to PrincetonTec and they have yet to reply.

Jason

Administrator

We will get a definitive answer from PT for you the beginning of next week.

That was quick - thanks for the reply

Jason

Just received a reply back from PT - they say:
    "According to our engineering department you can use anything except Lithium Batteries in the Miniwave." - originally I would have liked this information prior to purchasing the torch as it was info I needed to choose what I would buy. But I took a punt and acquired the torch anyway - lucked out.

ps - great little torch (out of the water anyway) - I will be testing it out on the "Currajong" tonight (wreck in Sydney Harbour).

Jason

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

It should be good. I just did 70 minutes at Camp Cove and it was great. Warm and pretty clean with lots to see. Not much rust though.

Matt

Well it did the job - lit the Currajong up as I expected - the LED produced a real nice white light - and the miniwave is much smalled than I had expected, which is good. Even took it out to Spider Reef (off Shellharbour) to find the sea spiders - nice torch