View Poll Results: Splits fins, advantage or hype?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definite advantage

9 22.50%
  • Limited advantage

17 42.50%
  • Total marketing hype

10 25.00%
  • I'm The Black Knight & the BK ALWAYS wears jet/rocket fins

4 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Split fins Poll, advantage or hype?

Quote Originally Posted by allisonfinch View Post

I spent over 30 years in jet fins. I now only use Scuba Pro Twin Speed fins. After trying several split fins, I found that the floppier fins (apollo) didn't give me the maneuvering power I needed. The Twin Speed is very stiff. I find it superior in almost every way. I rarely flutter kick but use mostly frog. The stiifer splits do very well

Not good in current?? BULL! In PNG I dive vicious currents. Once, when we needed to put a clip in the mooring line for an overnight stay, one of the boat's divemasters and I offered to do it. The mooring line was in the middle of the top on a seamount. The current was ripping. We had to swim from the lee of the bommie up and over the top to the line. The divemaster was a third of my age and wearing LONG paddle fins. I was wearing my splits. We had to PUSH to get to the line. I not only beat him to the mooring, I was not breathing nearly as hard.

So before you naysay to splits, spend enough time to learn how to use them. There is a learning curve to using them.
    I don't recollect thinking "these are useless" when I switched to split fins 4 or 5 years ago BUT, neither do I recollect thinking "these are brilliant" .......

Having only ever had 2 pairs of fins in 20 years I suppose it is impossible to offer good general advice ......... I do agree that the really floppy split fins are not good for 'hard finning' (IMO).
    Last edited by Finless; 07-31-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Most polls seem to be about 50/50 on split fins.

I prefer full footpocket long blades for the lion's share of my scuba diving, and all of my freediving.

Chad

Registered Users

Default Split Fins

I replaced my US Divers Blades with Atomic Splitfins. It was like trading in your VW for a Dodge Viper. I expend at lot less effort on a typical dive with the Atomics. The only disadvantage I can see is that it might not work as well with shorter divers.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

I have two pairs of fins I wear regularly: Tusa X-pert Zoom splits and Mares Quattro paddles. I like them both.

From a leg-strength standpoint, the splits are way easier on the legs. No cramps! I hate doing surface swims (especially on my back) with the paddles--must be something about the surface tension of the water or something--but I get cramps doing that.

In terms of performance, the splits are faster and easier agaisnt a current, and I have no trouble "steering" with them in a drift. It's just an impression that splits don't provide as much thrust as paddles because you don't feel the strain on your legs, knees, and ankles in the splits that you do in the paddles. You actually get the same or better performance with less effort in splits.

What splits are NOT so great for is swimming backwards. I can really only accomplish that to a very limited extent in splits, whereas with paddles it's not hard. Lots of people who are used to paddles can't seem to do helicopter turns or other manoeuvers in splits, but it just takes a bit of adaptation. I can turn on a dime in my splits, and I do lots of photo, so hovering and helicopter turns are essential for me.

As far as frog kicking goes, I can frog kick just fine with splits, and generally prefer a frog kick with splits over a frog kick with paddles since the splits give me a smoother "ride" whereas the paddles produce a more uneven, jerkier rhythm.

I'd choose my splits over the rocket/turtle/jet fins any day..
    Personal preference.
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

i tried to take a HEAVY Intro diver against a current, apollo splits and atomic splits were terrible, no use whatso ever, my quatro's on the otherhand, tackle it great.
    i think is also has alot to do with leg strengh, i have strong legs, the splits compleately bent and i just wasnt getting anywhere.
    in generally calm waters, love them, best thing there is.
    the Quatro's very good aswell.
    just started useing Jets trying them out. WOW, i want to tell you, they are flexable, not as tough as the RocketFins, are easy to fin with in a current, on the serface, i dunno, everywhere.
    i dont have the cash for the Jets but when i will....
    meanwhile, i use my trusty quatro's they are great
    again, love the splits in quiet waters, maybe, i havnt had splits long enough to learn how to really use them as allisonfinch, you said?
    i do have a conclusion though, Cant argue with personal preferance.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

OK. Here we go. This is one of my favorite subjects.

As a former Scuba Instructor (Naui/Padi) I have an opinion, and as a 6 foot four 225 lb. waterman raised in So Cal Beaches, I have another.
    Here is what decided it for me.

I was bored at the dive shop one day, and saw the "swimming belt" we had lying on the pool deck.
    This belt was made of stout surgical tubing, and was tied to the hand rail in the deep end of the pool.
    The other end was tied to a weight belt, without weights. The tubing was long enough to stretch from the rail to ALMOST the farthest corner of the pool.
    Get it?
    We could swim non-stop and not touch the corner. We also didn't have to do flip turns in our small POS pool.
    I took every type of fin we had from our sales shelf and tried it in our pool.
    Don't forget, I am a monster in the water.
    Some fins got me just so far; others repeatedly fell off my feet!
    My UDT's stayed on and got ME the furthest. Period.
    That is the fin I used, and my safety divers used.

Of course I was trained by a former Navy SEAL;
    I just wanted to see for myself.
    Later on as a US Marine in BRC, we used UDT's as well.

There is no substitute for a stout fin and strong leg muscles.

For me, there is no second choice
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Default Split fins

why did Seafox say that there is no advantage if you are into photography? Are the split fins not good for photography?

I love my splits, and would never change out of them. The are easier on my knees and give plenty of thrust, despite what people think. We get pretty strong current and tides here in the Northeast US. The difference is that most people equate thrust and power with feeling tired and out of breath. Splits don't do that. They just get you where you need...more easily. It's like the difference between cars that quickly accellerate and snap you neck or just get to finish line first, nice and smoothly.

You can maneuver easier with paddle-style fins. Try backing up in tight quarters with a pair of splits. One may have a tendency to silt more with split fins. I know photographers who use both styles, but the ones I know that use split fins while doing photo work are more experienced divers who have learned to work with them.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Exclamation

DiveRite! For Cave, Wreck, and Photo. Never saw a fish with split fins that wasn't dying or being eaten! Physics has this law that for every action is an opposite and equal reaction. If you don't wear fins you won't cramp either! It feels good to and the fit is fantastic, but I want to get somewhere and have a stable platform for my camera, not to mention don't take your split fins in a cave! Or a wreck in front of me! I have had too many scenes wrecked by some inconsiderate split-finer!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast