View Poll Results: Splits fins, advantage or hype?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definite advantage

9 22.50%
  • Limited advantage

17 42.50%
  • Total marketing hype

10 25.00%
  • I'm The Black Knight & the BK ALWAYS wears jet/rocket fins

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Split fins Poll, advantage or hype?

Default Split fins Poll, advantage or hype?

Do you think they are a real advantage or just marketing hype?

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

These fins are said to be "easier" to use, and more efficient. How is a fin efficient when it surrounds the water, rather than pushes the water? I had a fin that literally collapsed when I had to fin hard with all my gear. Those are not fins, they useless decorations!!

Have both very rarely use my jetfins because they are a little small but there is a huge difference between the two. With split fins you don't get as much thrust, but I also don't even notice wearing them. I love my jetfins for body surfing because they fit fine without booties.

Own a pair of splits and a pair of regular blades.

The splits are great in places like lakes, but quickly become a hinderance with a strong current like in rivers,or the ocean when fighting swells. They both serve me well but I am partial to the splits because there is less of a strain on my knees when used in the right conditions. Also I can honestly say that regardless of the condition, I have never gotten a leg cramp when I was wearing my splits.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

I think the split fins are OK but I don't think they supply as much thrust when needed in a hurry ......... like when "popoising up onto a rib". They are much easier on the legs and I use mine with twin 12s and a backmounted deco cylinder so they can't be that poor. I do wreck diving at slack water and am not interested in fighting currents ......... when the tide starts to rip then I'm out of there so I can't really comment oh their effectiveness in a current.

I do think they kick up less silt due to the difference in the "wake" they create compared to normal fins. This assertion, however, is hotly contested by some solid fin wearers who claim the opposite.

TBH, you need an adapted finning style for split fins and I'm not sure I've got it right myself.

They do tend to be quite long which can be a real PITA on a wreck ........... or near coral I would imagine.

I'm not sure if I would buy another pair ............. I'd probably go back to my Mares Plana Avanti style ................. but now I'm older ...............

Lobbocks! I'm buying a scooter!

I think the poll should have a "don't know" option?

I don't know if these will help:-

www.divernet.com/equipment/fins/0902/fins.htm

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/arti...play&show=fins

City
    Toronto
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Advantage, Not if you're into photography.

Cornel
    Last edited by seafox; 03-15-2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Protect SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

NEVER STOP LEARNING

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Change Jet fins to include Rocket Fins please -----
    Joel Silverstein, VP COO
    Tech Diving Limited - Everything Tech
    Scuba Diving Limited - Everything Rec
    New Playground

Well I don't need to hurry every when diving. I'm kinda in the relaxed let's make the air last mode all the time.

I'm also old, if it weren't for splits I'm sure I'd be done diving.

I'll just be the old relaxed guy breathing half as much air as you guys who use powerful fins, lol.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

I spent over 30 years in jet fins. I now only use Scuba Pro Twin Speed fins. After trying several split fins, I found that the floppier fins (apollo) didn't give me the maneuvering power I needed. The Twin Speed is very stiff. I find it superior in almost every way. I rarely flutter kick but use mostly frog. The stiifer splits do very well

Not good in current?? BULL! In PNG I dive vicious currents. Once, when we needed to put a clip in the mooring line for an overnight stay, one of the boat's divemasters and I offered to do it. The mooring line was in the middle of the top on a seamount. The current was ripping. We had to swim from the lee of the bommie up and over the top to the line. The divemaster was a third of my age and wearing LONG paddle fins. I was wearing my splits. We had to PUSH to get to the line. I not only beat him to the mooring, I was not breathing nearly as hard.

So before you naysay to splits, spend enough time to learn how to use them. There is a learning curve to using them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast