View Poll Results: Splits fins, advantage or hype?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definite advantage

9 22.50%
  • Limited advantage

17 42.50%
  • Total marketing hype

10 25.00%
  • I'm The Black Knight & the BK ALWAYS wears jet/rocket fins

4 10.00%

Thread: Split fins Poll, advantage or hype?

Hybrid View

I think the split fins are OK but I don't think they supply as much thrust when needed in a hurry ......... like when "popoising up onto a rib". They are much easier on the legs and I use mine with twin 12s and a backmounted deco cylinder so they can't be that poor. I do wreck diving at slack water and am not interested in fighting currents ......... when the tide starts to rip then I'm out of there so I can't really comment oh their effectiveness in a current.

I do think they kick up less silt due to the difference in the "wake" they create compared to normal fins. This assertion, however, is hotly contested by some solid fin wearers who claim the opposite.

TBH, you need an adapted finning style for split fins and I'm not sure I've got it right myself.

They do tend to be quite long which can be a real PITA on a wreck ........... or near coral I would imagine.

I'm not sure if I would buy another pair ............. I'd probably go back to my Mares Plana Avanti style ................. but now I'm older ...............

Lobbocks! I'm buying a scooter!

I think the poll should have a "don't know" option?

I don't know if these will help:-

www.divernet.com/equipment/fins/0902/fins.htm

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/arti...play&show=fins