View Poll Results: Splits fins, advantage or hype?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definite advantage

9 22.50%
  • Limited advantage

17 42.50%
  • Total marketing hype

10 25.00%
  • I'm The Black Knight & the BK ALWAYS wears jet/rocket fins

4 10.00%

Thread: Split fins Poll, advantage or hype?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by allisonfinch View Post

I spent over 30 years in jet fins. I now only use Scuba Pro Twin Speed fins. After trying several split fins, I found that the floppier fins (apollo) didn't give me the maneuvering power I needed. The Twin Speed is very stiff. I find it superior in almost every way. I rarely flutter kick but use mostly frog. The stiifer splits do very well

Not good in current?? BULL! In PNG I dive vicious currents. Once, when we needed to put a clip in the mooring line for an overnight stay, one of the boat's divemasters and I offered to do it. The mooring line was in the middle of the top on a seamount. The current was ripping. We had to swim from the lee of the bommie up and over the top to the line. The divemaster was a third of my age and wearing LONG paddle fins. I was wearing my splits. We had to PUSH to get to the line. I not only beat him to the mooring, I was not breathing nearly as hard.

So before you naysay to splits, spend enough time to learn how to use them. There is a learning curve to using them.
    I don't recollect thinking "these are useless" when I switched to split fins 4 or 5 years ago BUT, neither do I recollect thinking "these are brilliant" .......

Having only ever had 2 pairs of fins in 20 years I suppose it is impossible to offer good general advice ......... I do agree that the really floppy split fins are not good for 'hard finning' (IMO).
    Last edited by Finless; 07-31-2007 at 09:47 PM.