Thread: hot spots

Default hot spots

I've had alright luck spearfishing in Laguna, not such great luck in PV but anyone willing to share where they have had some luck spearfishing in southern california?

Try the Star of Scotland off the Santa Monica Pier about a half mile out, in 65 feet of water, there is often a halibut on the frontside, and then do your 2nd dive off the front of what is left of the Santa Monica Pier breakwater.

30% of the time you should see a decent halibut between the two, and if not, you should be good for some scallops of the Star of Scotland.

Beware of electric torpedo rays!

Not sure I'd eat bottom- or filter-feeders out of Santa Monica Bay, though. Sounds a little risky to me. Is my concern unfounded?

Jamie,

Our publisher gave me the info on the Star of Scotland. He said it was quite some time ago when he used to dive the Star and the front of the SM breakwater.

He says the water was FAR more polluted back then, and the only harm such diving and eating of halibut and scallops there has been he contracted rebreatheritus and HiDef video fever.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I dont think the problems would only exist is bottom feeders as larger pelagics cop a bit of mercury and other nasties as well. Not just in the one area its worldwide. I think you just have to be careful with what you take anywhere.

Matt

Thank's for the info might take my boat out there and try to find the star. Jex I wouldn't be too worried. Most of the SM bay is pretty clean, I would be more worried about certain fish off of PV and the DDT problems.