View Poll Results: Sttel or Aluminum dive cylinders?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steel cylinders

21 87.50%
  • Aluminum cylinders

3 12.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel or Aluminum?

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    I will interject here that although I dive steel and Aluminums, depending on the dive and application, I WILL NEVER STRAP ON A AL 100!!!!!!! This tank has got to be the worst tank ever manufactured. It is nothing more than a balloon. I HATE that tank!!!!

I had two of those that I finally managed to swap for AL 80's about a year back; I swear I could not price them low enough to find a buyer for a couple of years! They make good ow cylinders for large air hogs, but that is about it. Way too heavy when full and way too floaty when near empty.

Registered Users

I own 2 12L fabers doubled up. 2 13.6L Asahi's as singles and a 8.3L Catalina stage that I just brought.
    Tanks in NZ as so expencive. I supose its got to do with increased shipping prices. My 8.3L cost me $450nz ($300US) O2 cleaned with Nitrox stickers.
    My fabers cost me $370 each without valves which was a real bargin. Normaly pay about $500 with valve.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

i dive with both types, prefer? depends on the dive. Steel does last longer though.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

I own steel HP100's and couldn't be happier with them. The relatively small size and negative bouyancy are nice. Naturally when I travel to faraway places I have to dive what's on the boat, and that's usually AL80's.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

The Aluminum 100's suck for one reason they fill at 3300 psi. So on a boat you get 3000 that cools to 2850psa you have a huge 80 anyway. I have both, but really like my LP95 and my LP120 both steel for the longer times I might need to get the "Shot". Aluminum 80's are great for cold water, you don't have to stay down as long. I have posted this before, but LP is the way to go because you can get a good fill anywhere.

Bama, 4000 isn't an over fill at all! 4100 maybe! Right?
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I have everything you might want to know about Tanks in one place at our site feel free to us it as a resource!

http://www.twotankedproductions.com/...f/tanksqa.html
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    I own steel HP100's and couldn't be happier with them. The relatively small size and negative bouyancy are nice. Naturally when I travel to faraway places I have to dive what's on the boat, and that's usually AL80's.

Mountain Dog
    I own HP 100's and love then too.. BUT Papa brings up good points

Quote Originally Posted by papa
    The Aluminum 100's suck for one reason they fill at 3300 psi. So on a boat you get 3000 that cools to 2850psa you have a huge 80 anyway. I have both, but really like my LP95 and my LP120 both steel
    I own an ALUM 100 and 80's and LP 108's and HP 100's ... As papa said, the HP's are hard to
    get a good fill.. The LP are easy to get a good fill.
    If I had to choose my tanks over again, I would go for the LP98's and crank them up to 2449lbs... (lol).
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I own HP 100's and love then too.. BUT Papa brings up good points

I own an ALUM 100 and 80's and LP 108's and HP 100's ... As papa said, the HP's are hard to
    get a good fill.. The LP are easy to get a good fill.
    If I had to choose my tanks over again, I would go for the LP98's and crank them up to 2449lbs... (lol).
    That is what Cavers do all day long! Twin 108's to 3800psi almost 300 cubic feet of air! Or better yet 300 cubic feet of 36%!

Registered Users

Default Yea I didn't

Yea, I didn't want to write that... but your' right...
    twin LP 108's over filled, what else can you do... Go rebreather or something?
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

My favorite all time tank shore or boat is the LP steel 95!

http://twotankedproductions.com/imag...e_Peace_08.jpg

Fit, buoyancy, just enough extra air in cold water! LOL I wish Live a boards would use them! You would almost not need any additional wight! Maybe 8 to 10lbs and your good to go!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast