Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalina- Bottomscratcher

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    JS1scuba-

Yeah, my station was near the head and it stunk (not to mention, liquid covered th floor). I don't mind the crew diving, as long as the paying customers are taken care of (and I don't mean having our hands held). I do expect somebody to account for everyone going in and out just for safety. And it should be the same person for any particular dive, in my opinion.

I've had better experience on other boats and those are the ones I'll return to.

Frankly the only person who is responsible for people is the Captain. So long as he does a NAME CALL and VISUAL verification of everyone on board before he picks up the anchor and moves then all is fine.

A sign out board is all that is needed. Frankly I can't stand having a useless "divemaster" on a boat. I want crew, real crew that dives.

Cheers
    Joel Silverstein, VP COO
    Tech Diving Limited - Everything Tech
    Scuba Diving Limited - Everything Rec
    New Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    (and I don't mean having our hands held).
    What? they're not supposed to hold our hands? well, shoot... I kinda like having my hand held

As for as the BS (bottom scratcher)~ I've been on it as well.... Wasn't impressed, but then again it wasn't the worst dive boat I've ever seen...

SoCal dive boat prices are fairly reasonable (this is DCI's price list)-
    Dive Trip Prices:

2 tank Wreck Alley or Kelp Bed trip..............$80.00 per person
    2 tank Coronado Islands (Mexico) trip..........................$100.00 per person
    1 tank Night Dive.............................................. .$40.00 per person
    4 tank Kelp Alley or Kelp Bed Trip................$155.00 per person
    4 tank Coronado Islands (Mexico) trip..........................$175.00 per person

These prices include tanks, weights, snacks and/or lunch.
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

That actually raises an interesting question: What do you expect the divemaster to do?

In my locality, we provide some help lugging your gear, a thorough briefing at the site, written accounting of all divers, maybe a guided tour UW of the site or buddy up with the least experienced in the group, and safety supervision (including having full first aid and O2 on site and providing same in an emergency).

Just to whine a little for that we might expect to make $5-$10 per diver on an outing.

Most locals here would rather not have a divemaster either. They know the sites already and are willing to look after their own safety.

Ron

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

SoCal,

What is this? A touchie, feelie trip? What, I have to get in touch with my inner-self? Hold hands? Sing Koom-by-Ya? Yikes I am out of here!!!! I thought I was meant to enjoy this time, not endure it! Time for a new hobby.

Seriously, I find that a good divemaster will give you a hand with clipping up stage bottles (holding/handing them for you), and other such gear, then assissting in the climbing back on the boat. Especially if the seas have picked up between going in and coming out (and when don't they?). Taking the camera and SMB to leave your hands free to climb on board.

A little shift in topic: Who the @#$^%@# thought that having a boat deck that sits 5-6 feet (2 meters) above water level is a good thing? I damn near kill myself climbing the ladder with doubles and all!!

If you're gonna complain about a boat set up don't dive off of it, with that said that eliminates almost all commerical boats. Climbing up a ladder isn't that big of a deal, since it's only maybe six steps at most.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    IClimbing up a ladder isn't that big of a deal, since it's only maybe six steps at most.

Again, try that with full gear. That includes Deco bottles (multiples) and doubles with the extras. Now tell me how easy to pull up and out in 6 feet of air space. That is, no water to help.

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    SoCal,

What is this? A touchie, feelie trip? What, I have to get in touch with my inner-self? Hold hands? Sing Koom-by-Ya? Yikes I am out of here!!!! I thought I was meant to enjoy this time, not endure it! Time for a new hobby.

Well its actually "Kum ba ya"... but that's ok.

Anyway, every boat around here i've been on (including the Butt Scratcher) has had a helpful crew- taking fins, cameras, stages from divers.. Often, even the boat captain is there assisting you into and out of the water.. And I agree, trying to get up a ladder with doubles in rough seas can be quite the challenge at times...
    Last edited by SoCalDiveGirl; 03-16-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: because I had more to say.
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

well can't say I've been in that situation because I don't frequently dive off of boats normally only the shore, and when I do I only take one 120 to make it easy.

i think the name should be .... Butt Scratcher ........

Well, I guess if you don't kill yourself going up and down the ladder, you can save $ by cancelling your gym membership.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast