Thread: Catalina- Bottomscratcher

Threaded View

Default Catalina- Bottomscratcher

A little review: Went to Catalina on the Bottom Scratcher. This was my first time on this boat. It was only at about half capacity, but I felt crowded. Overall, though a not super clean, not a bad boat. I did find it a little slow.

Here are the things I liked:
    The crew was animated. Although the food wasn't exactly gourmet, there was alot of it. (Breakfast and a meal after every dive). There was a chase dingy.

Things I didn't like:
    The capt. new there were several student there to get their deep dive in for the advanced course. It 10'-15' of vis with an obvious current (Isthmus reef), an anchor line in the deep water for reference would have been ideal. He chose to anchor shallow. A possible big problem for inexperienced divers.

A short move for the second dive (West side of Bird Rock). I didn't see anyone marking people off as they entered the water. I don't even remember seeing anyone at boat stern. However, everyone was checked in at entry.
    Though it seamed customers wanted to try a third site, we didn't pull anchor because members of the crew wanted to remain there. Once again, there was nobody marking off names as divers entered the water.

During the trip, with the exception of the captain, each crew member dove at least once (including the dive master), with two diving trice.
    My overall impression of the trip was that the intent of the trip was for the benefit of some of the crew and there desire for lobster. (The bugs, by the way, were measure on the boat, with shorts toss out).
    I understand the crew wanting to dive, but not on a trip when they are working. I resent having to pay for a crew trip.

I hope this trip was an exception and I'm sure others have had better experiences. I, however, will not be spending my money there, again.
    Last edited by Jefe; 03-08-2007 at 05:01 AM.