Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What User Titles do you want? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What User Titles do you want?

Bottom scratcher is not a term familiar in the U.S.

But then again, the name on the cereal box in the U.S is "Rice Crispies" whereas in Austalia it is Rice Bubble, and we don't have Vegemite. We call them vans, in the UK they might be called a lory, and in Australia I think the term is canby. We call it an electrical exstension cord versus "flex" in the UK, and the fish we call a "grouper" is called a "groper" in Australia, whereas a groper in the U.S. is some man or woman who likes to cop a feel off strangers, but I will guess "cop a feel" is strictly an American term.

I love geographical diversity. It be very interesting

OOOH.. How about TWO versions of each User Title... a 'plain' version for those who use open circuit, and a 'silent' version for those who use a rebreather..

I.E.

Photographer, Silent Photography
    Divemaster, Silent Divemaster
    Instructor, Silent Instructor
    Wreck Diver, Silent Wreck Diver
    Crazy Wreck Penetrating Diver, Silent Crazy Wreck Penetrating Diver
    Crazy Cave Diver, Silent Crazy Cave Diver

(ps... I AM a Cave diver (intro certified at least for now, ...) and just because of that, many people would consider me crazy... But they just don't know what they are missing

I think Cave Diver should definately be a user title too.

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I like the first two, the last one can be confused with a person who has a hygiene problem.

Actually, it was a dive club in San Diego that started in the 1930s. Amazing bunch of guys. It disbanded in the last couple of years.

If you were to differentiate between silent and non-silent divers you’d need to also note whether solo divers have no buddies because they’re bottom scratchers or gropers. Is it possible to be a solo instructor and if so do your students feel left out? Pardon me while I put the hood down on my roadster so I can enjoy the moonshine tonight.

Forget the titles, we need more smilies.

Solo for sure, not because we cant find someone to dive with here in the "SWAMP", but more like

when we do dive with someone....you just can't find them!

we are "visibility challenged" here.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Bottom scratcher is not a term familiar in the U.S.

But then again, the name on the cereal box in the U.S is "Rice Crispies" whereas in Austalia it is Rice Bubble, and we don't have Vegemite. We call them vans, in the UK they might be called a lory, and in Australia I think the term is canby. We call it an electrical exstension cord versus "flex" in the UK, and the fish we call a "grouper" is called a "groper" in Australia, whereas a groper in the U.S. is some man or woman who likes to cop a feel off strangers, but I will guess "cop a feel" is strictly an American term.
    Gotta love the english language. None of us could master it so we changed it to suit and then confused the hell out of everyone else that spoke it or tried to learn it. We do have Rice Bubble and Vegimite(you gotta try it at least once in your life). Ive never heard of a canby? but we have heaps of vans. Trucks arent utes tractors are driven by farmers.
    We do have gropers both underwater and the male variety that cop a feel.
    We also have words that arent rude but offend a lot of people that dont know the Aussie meaning.

Matt

Women can be gropers too!

We heard the term "Canby" from the oz music group "Men without Hats" singing the lyrics : "Travelin' in a fried out canby...:

Women can be gropers too!

We heard the term "Canby" from the oz music group "Men without Hats" singing the lyrics : "Travelin' in a fried out canby...:
    That would be "Men at Work" and the line would be"Travelling in a fried out Combie" .
    A combie is a type of van that hippies and travellers love to travel in. They are a kiwi and australian icon! Many many people have chugged a bong load in one of these baby's!

Here is one

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast