Thread: Let's keep it complicated

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Have you ever dove a long hose, seen it used, dove with some one who is using one?

As for the religion thing......Huh?????
    I have dove with a buddy that had one, and so I have also seen it used. Again, they dont look evil, they just don't seem right for me. I am not AGAINST them, I just don't think they are right for ME. So far BamaCaveDiver is the only one who has given credible reasons to use one, and I dont feel as if they apply to my dive style/attitude/environment.

The religion comment is based on tigerbeach's quote. Its common for people with religion (god, diving, drinking, underwear style, whatever) to use that quote when someone disagrees with them. I am not a fool because because I choose a differant path, I am just differant.

AND,
    who knows, maybe after reading all the "you need a long hose because..." comments, I will change my mind and go out and get a long hose. Without discussion, who knows?
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

Kirwoodd,

Most of my dives are warm calm OW dives these days,
    I am sorry to say that I have had to share air with more than a few different buddies on occation, at the moment, when I dive singles, i use a 5' but have the 7' while twined up
    i cannot begin to tell you how comfortable it is for both the other diver(not always my buddy) and myself. much safer in my eyes. I think you should take a few dives and try the longhose, see how you like it, talk to an tech instructor or a tech diver on how exactly to work it, practice with it, get a feel for it, only then, make your mind up, but to say that it does not suit you withought even trying it.............
    good luck I wish you many many more diving years, have fun and dive safe.
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 08-02-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Default take the class anyway

Its gotta be worth the
    and 6 Gulf dives
    I would recommend after completing the course you redo your CPR and AED adult and child/infant training tho.

thats my two psi

Mike
    Last edited by Bubble Maker; 08-02-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: more info
    Dive Into Life and Live for Diving!
    www.scubarecoveryco.com

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Kirwoodd, you are certainly entitled to any opinion you choose.
    The comments made by myself and others are not meant to diminish you as a person, provider, or whatever else in life you do. Or as a diver.

This realm however, is something you know very little about.

I, too, have made 27 dives; Per week. Every week.
    Month after month. Year after year.
    I made over 5000 dives as an Instructor, many of which were in the course
    of training other Instructors.
    I don't pretend to know everything. I am only an expert at what I did.
    My purpose is to give you an example of experience.

Feel free to use my experience or anyone else's; Or learn it all on your own.

Just don't expect to be taken very seriously, when you choose to spout off about a new skill.

Best fishes,

ASW
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

And as a side note.....Always remember this...if your instructor is teaching you something, most likely it is something they learned a long time ago, so what they really think they know may not be the case anymore.

This really hit me hard when I went to college for computer science. An ongoing problem for a lot of the computer science majors was that the teachers had not been to school in years. They were trying to teach us things, but everything they knew was outdated. It was more like we learned on our own, and then taught the teacher. Kinda makes me wonder why I wasn't the one getting paid.......

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    And as a side note.....Always remember this...if your instructor is teaching you something, most likely it is something they learned a long time ago, so what they really think they know may not be the case anymore.
    In the case of experienced Scuba Instructors, they have continuing education requirements when they renew their license to teach; this ensures the continual upgrading of their knowledge base, if not their skill level...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    In the case of experienced Scuba Instructors, they have continuing education requirements when they renew their license to teach; this ensures the continual upgrading of their knowledge base, if not their skill level...
    What are those requirements? Are they tough? Maybe tough like it is tough to get your basic scuba certification, if that is the case, I will learn on my own. I am tough!

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Kirwoodd, you are certainly entitled to any opinion you choose.
    The comments made by myself and others are not meant to diminish you as a person, provider, or whatever else in life you do. Or as a diver.

This realm however, is something you know very little about.

I, too, have made 27 dives; Per week. Every week.
    Month after month. Year after year.
    I made over 5000 dives as an Instructor, many of which were in the course
    of training other Instructors.
    I don't pretend to know everything. I am only an expert at what I did.
    My purpose is to give you an example of experience.

Feel free to use my experience or anyone else's; Or learn it all on your own.

Just don't expect to be taken very seriously, when you choose to spout off about a new skill.

Best fishes,

ASW
    incredibly valid, and it should be weighed accordingly.
    I know 4 guys who dive 80 times a month, every month, all year long, NONE of them has a long hose. I am NOT saying that long hoses are bad, I am saying that people should make their own decisions based on their situations.

OK, that makes it something like 5 times that I have said it, so thats the last.
    sorry for the diversion. All done.
    Last edited by kirwoodd; 08-02-2007 at 11:20 PM.
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by kirwoodd View Post
    ...I am saying that people should make their own decisions based on their situations.
    That has always been my belief as well (and one of the reasons I laugh so hard every time I read a thread entitled " Is this DIR?") To be honest, I would much rather dive with someone using a standard octo (that they were able to deploy and use efficiently of course) as opposed to someone wearing a long hose just to fit in (no training in how to stow or deploy it.) Kirwoodd, you strike me as a thinking diver and that is a good thing. Always keep your options open and use the methods/tools that inspire the most confidence within yourself. As long as you and your buddy are both satisfied with the safety and effectiveness of your setup, our opinions are just that, opinions. I think the long hose has its advantages, but a diver who knows how to use his equipment is a lot more adventageous.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post

This really hit me hard when I went to college for computer science. An ongoing problem for a lot of the computer science majors was that the teachers had not been to school in years. They were trying to teach us things, but everything they knew was outdated. It was more like we learned on our own, and then taught the teacher. Kinda makes me wonder why I wasn't the one getting paid.......

The trite saying "a good diver is always learning" really applies here. I know many instructors that may teach openwater only students, but go on to many other styles/types of diving. Those other types of diving are the instructors way of gaining proficiency, skill, and knowledge outside the realm of their instructor roles. I had a Openwater I and II instructor who strongly advocated cave diving as a way to improve skill level, even though he refused to be certified as a cave instructor.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456