Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's keep it complicated

Default Let's keep it complicated

As you fine patrons of this fine site know, I recently took the GUE DIR-F course and umm,, err, well didnt do so well.
    But, just the same I did learn some new diving techniques and philosophies and have adopted a totally new approach to diving. I am so much more safety minded now and so much more aware of how to be a good diver; although, the skills elude me.
    Nonetheless, I am working to achieve those skills and have decided to be dedicated despite the constant heavy dose of humility and frustration that comes with practice.
    Now, with all that in mind. And the fact that my practices have been as often as possible and my skills have not gone forward, I am now involved with something else.
    Ya see, before I discovered this GUE DIR thing, I enrolled in and paid for a NAUI Rescue class. It started last night. One instructor and four students (including me). We were all class room work last night, discussing various things, some related to safety.
    Now here I am, adopting a new philosophy, unskilled but trained, knowledgeable but unable to put the knowledge to practice and I suddenly find myself forced to dive with people that I consider unsafe.
    Funny, but those people, employing the "happy go lucky, good thing I am ignorant" style of diving that I used to use and be happy with, are now divers that I sit and wonder what they could be thinking.
    Anyway, I digress. My point is, I am trying to become proficient at a whole new system and now I have to complete this rescue class. Complicates things to say the least.
    And, the ironic part is, I feel this rescue card is meaningless. I am probably better trained after one weekend of GUE DIR then I am going to be after 6 classroom settings, 2 pool sessions and 6 Gulf dives of training.
    Funny how something unexpected to change one's perspective on things, isnt it?
    Last edited by WarmWaterdiver; 03-06-2007 at 04:19 PM.

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

So, why are still taking the Rescue Class?
    I've read your posts about the GUE DIR on this forum and on **********.. I'm just wondering if it's worth the stuff you're going through. Although I'm not interested in going the DIR route, I do agree that some of the processes and fundamentals make sense, but I don't think ANY one training program or thought process is the end all, be all, for every single diver and every diving situation out there. And for one organization to actually think so is pretty narcissistic, IMHO.
    I understand you want to excel in the DIR route, and I wish you the best in your endeavors. But, if something you're doing in the name of making you a "better diver" actually makes you consider quit diving, is it really that great of a thing?
    I'm not trying to argumentative here, I'm trying to understand your thought process behind this whole DIR thing.. It seems to have taken the "fun" out of your diving, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the reason you got into diving.. I know that was the reason for 99% of us. And, most of us still want to have fun when we dive. I will better myself when it comes to hovering, buoyancy, trim, danglies and all other annoyances without having to follow a "manifesto." Just because we aren't DIR and don't want to conform, doesn't mean we can't be safe divers. I won't judge you because you are DIR, how about giving me the benefit of the doubt when I'm not?
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Quote Originally Posted by dalehall View Post
    So, why are still taking the Rescue Class?
    I've read your posts about the GUE DIR on this forum and on **********.. I'm just wondering if it's worth the stuff you're going through. Although I'm not interested in going the DIR route, I do agree that some of the processes and fundamentals make sense, but I don't think ANY one training program or thought process is the end all, be all, for every single diver and every diving situation out there. And for one organization to actually think so is pretty narcissistic, IMHO.
    I understand you want to excel in the DIR route, and I wish you the best in your endeavors. But, if something you're doing in the name of making you a "better diver" actually makes you consider quit diving, is it really that great of a thing?
    I'm not trying to argumentative here, I'm trying to understand your thought process behind this whole DIR thing.. It seems to have taken the "fun" out of your diving, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the reason you got into diving.. I know that was the reason for 99% of us. And, most of us still want to have fun when we dive. I will better myself when it comes to hovering, buoyancy, trim, danglies and all other annoyances without having to follow a "manifesto." Just because we aren't DIR and don't want to conform, doesn't mean we can't be safe divers. I won't judge you because you are DIR, how about giving me the benefit of the doubt when I'm not?
    WOW, interesting comments. First off, I learned of GUE DIR because I was curious about this DIR stuff I read about. I got further interested because I believed the training would make me a better, safer diver. I was disillusioned in the class because I did not come back a better diver but instead came back feeling unsafe, incompetent and very much like a poor diver.
    Actually, I am probably slightly better than I was before the class and I am very much more knowledgeable about safety issues, buddy awareness, gear configurations and the reasoning behind each, and some technical stuff I never even considered before. Things like gas planning, SAC rates, equipment checks before the dive and turnaround pressure.
    I discovered a whole new philosophy and it seemed better than my old happy go lucky, ignorance is bliss diving approach.
    What amazed me last night was how many unsafe practices my classmates took as normal routine. Even more amazing was the unsafe practices employed by the NAUI instructor.
    I can assure you that I will implement safety steps in my dive routine, from predive equipment checks, detailed dive planning, gas management, an absolute pressure as my rock bottom, knowledge of my buddy's gear, a discussion of signals and the goal of the dive before we hit the water.
    I will get the techniques down, one of these days, and I will smile with delight and glee because I will be a safer, better diver which will benefit me and those I dive with.
    However, without sounding ridiculous, it now appears that those who choose to follow the happy go lucky, ignorance is bliss approach wont be people I will go diving with. I am not superior, I am not better than them, I am just safer and adamant about employing a safer more systemized plan before diving.
    Something else I will do which is new is that I will practice one or more skill on and every dive, even if for only 5 minutes.
    As for one philosophy as the end all, well, this is without question, the best approach I have seen and it is so far ahead of PADI and/or NAUI training that it is in another solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmWaterdiver View Post
    .......................... and I suddenly find myself forced to dive with people that I consider unsafe
    "Consider unsafe" - would you care to specify why you consider them unsafe?

And, the ironic part is, I feel this rescue card is meaningless. I am probably better trained after one weekend of GUE DIR then I am going to be after 6 classroom settings, 2 pool sessions and 6 Gulf dives of training.
    Theory is fine .......... until you can put your knowledge into practice you are not better trained? Anyway, it is quite simple, do not complete the course.

Funny how something unexpected to change one's perspective on things, isn't it?
    No, not really, you've 'got religion' is all.

I'm not sure of the purpose of your post? Having seen, and even participated in some heated 'DIR is best' debates ............. well, consider it a strange coincidence that I am listening to a new compilation DVD of a BBC program program called The Old The Old Grey Whistle Test and the track currently playing as I type this is Stir It Up by The Wailers (before Bob Marley got his name into the band title). I hope you are not developing troll like tendencies?

Scuba diving is not rocket science and most people can do it safely with the basic training that is available. I applaud your desire to improve your diving skills, and freely admit that there are parts of the DIR training that are worth taking on board, but please understand those of us that find the DIR "only one way" approach slightly annoying. I know why you will only dive with other DIR divers but that doesn't, in its own right, make you any better of a diver.

Personally, I prefer to dive solo. I like wearing my FFM. If it's bloody cold then I am happy wearing 3 finger mitts etc.

I hope this didn't come across as too confrontational and I am happy that you have had a diving revelation.

Registered Users

Default Warm Water

Look for another instructor.
    Why did you choose the instructor? You didn't?
    Why did you choose the agency?
    Why did you choose the shop?

The instructor as well as the preparation and commitment of the students
    make the class. Without either and/or both, what do you have?

Good luck.
    PS: I'm a Rescue Diver and I loved my class. I've learned a lot from it and still
    apply what I learned today. (It helped that I came from a medical background but not that it is necessary, but it helps.)
    Practice your skills. Alway take a little time, I usually during the safety stop to practice something...

Again, Good luck
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Quote Originally Posted by WarmWaterdiver View Post
    WOW, interesting comments. First off, I learned of GUE DIR because I was curious about this DIR stuff I read about. I got further interested because I believed the training would make me a better, safer diver. I was disillusioned in the class because I did not come back a better diver but instead came back feeling unsafe, incompetent and very much like a poor diver.
    Practice will resolve this.

Actually, I am probably slightly better than I was before the class and I am very much more knowledgeable about safety issues, buddy awareness, gear configurations and the reasoning behind each, and some technical stuff I never even considered before. Things like gas planning, SAC rates, equipment checks before the dive and turnaround pressure.
    Erm ........ sorry, although you learned this on a DIR course it is nothing new. If it would help, I have a little spreadsheet I created to help with gas planning ........ if interested then PM me an email address. One page will help you calculate your current SAC. The other page plans your gas usage on a dive using that SAC. It is really only for square profile dives - you can use it on for other dives but you need to break the profile down into a number of square profiles.

I discovered a whole new philosophy and it seemed better than my old happy go lucky, ignorance is bliss diving approach.
    Once again, is that not your attitude that was at fault rather than a failing in any training agency. Once you learn the basics you should still be continuing to learn and improve. Also, I'm not sure they aren't covered in other agencies' courses (it has been MANY years since I did my courses)?

What amazed me last night was how many unsafe practices my classmates took as normal routine. Even more amazing was the unsafe practices employed by the NAUI instructor.
    The crux of the matter - please elaborate on these unsafe practices.

I can assure you that I will implement safety steps in my dive routine, from predive equipment checks, detailed dive planning, gas management, an absolute pressure as my rock bottom, knowledge of my buddy's gear, a discussion of signals and the goal of the dive before we hit the water.
    Once again ...... this should be the norm although, IMO, the importance becomes more crucial with depth or difficult conditions. A dive to 10 mtrs in warm conditions doesn't NEED such critical planning. Also, for example, you are diving on a new (to you) wreck. What are your goals going to be when diving something you have never seen. In my patch the vis may vary enormously which drastically affects what is done on the dive.

I will get the techniques down, one of these days, and I will smile with delight and glee because I will be a safer, better diver which will benefit me and those I dive with.
    And will only be of interest to fellow DIR divers.

However, without sounding ridiculous, it now appears that those who choose to follow the happy go lucky, ignorance is bliss approach wont be people I will go diving with. I am not superior, I am not better than them, I am just safer and adamant about employing a safer more systemized plan before diving.
    Once again this is not a DIR invention.

Something else I will do which is new is that I will practice one or more skill on and every dive, even if for only 5 minutes.
    Here I do disagree. OK, if you are hanging on a deco stop then by all means practice to your hearts content. Surely you should be practiced before doing the dive ... and in a safe environment like a pool or ..........

Also, I don't know what diving you do but .......... for me it is about £35 to £45 for a charter boat. Gas is about £12 for the twins + say up to £10 for my deco mix. Take into account the time getting to and from etc etc and I am not going to be wasting five minutes out of a 30 minute dive practicing drills. If I don't already know it and might need it then I shouldn't be doing the dive.

As for one philosophy as the end all, well, this is without question, the best approach I have seen and it is so far ahead of PADI and/or NAUI training that it is in another solar system.
    In your opinion. The PADI courses teach you the basics which get you in the water. You then acquire experience and further knowledge as you progress.

I am pleased for you and your DIR passion but don't expect everyone to agree with you. I hope you never confuse any of your many hand signals and that your reverse finning techniques become so proficient that you require a flashing light and a beeping thing to warn others that you are about to reverse.
    Last edited by Finless; 03-06-2007 at 11:34 PM.

\

Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Practice will resolve this.

Erm ........ sorry, although you learned this on a DIR course it is nothing new. If it would help, I have a little spreadsheet I created to help with gas planning ........ if interested then PM me an email address. One page will help you calculate your current SAC. The other page plans your gas usage on a dive using that SAC. It is really only for square profile dives - you can use it on for other dives but you need to break the profile down into a number of square profiles.

Once again, is that not your attitude that was at fault rather than a failing in any training agency. Once you learn the basics you should still be continuing to learn and improve. Also, I'm not sure they aren't covered in other agencies' courses (it has been MANY years since I did my courses)?

The crux of the matter - please elaborate on these unsafe practices.

Once again ...... this should be the norm although, IMO, the importance becomes more crucial with depth or difficult conditions. A dive to 10 mtrs in warm conditions doesn't NEED such critical planning. Also, for example, you are diving on a new (to you) wreck. What are your goals going to be when diving something you have never seen. In my patch the vis may vary enormously which drastically affects what is done on the dive.

And will only be of interest to fellow DIR divers.

Once again this is not a DIR invention.

Here I do disagree. OK, if you are hanging on a deco stop then by all means practice to your hearts content. Surely you should be practiced before doing the dive ... and in a safe environment like a pool or ..........

Also, I don't know what diving you do but .......... for me it is about £35 to £45 for a charter boat. Gas is about £12 for the twins + say up to £10 for my deco mix. Take into account the time getting to and from etc etc and I am not going to be wasting five minutes out of a 30 minute dive practicing drills. If I don't already know it and might need it then I shouldn't be doing the dive.

In your opinion. The PADI courses teach you the basics which get you in the water. You then acquire experience and further knowledge as you progress.

I am pleased for you and your DIR passion but don't expect everyone to agree with you. I hope you never confuse any of your many hand signals and that your reverse finning techniques become so proficient that you require a flashing light and a beeping thing to warn others that you are about to reverse.

Thats some funny stuff

The thing is, Probably 90% of PADI, NAUI, SSI instructors are just open water instructors, And nothing more, period.

The GUE instructors are highly trained, And experienced cave divers. Big difference.
    That's why you thing they are so bad azz.
    The fact is, They were ALL trained by agencies other than GUE.
    Even George Irvine is, Or was never a GUE instructor.

Did DIR/GUE invent the Back plate/wing?...NO

Did they invent the long hose?...NO

Did they invent gas management?...NO

Did they invent rule number one (don't dive with strokes)?
    Who the hell wants to dive with a stroke!? (I know a few BTW and I will no longer dive with them)

Do I have to be GUE trained to know that? That's common sense

Like I said, just dive your azz off

Take up spearfishing. Best training there is. When your bussy fighting with fish. You just some how become a natura in th water

The DIR thing gets a lot of heat on some forums. We think any advanced training is good, and that includes GUE training.

The idea of knowing your tech gasses, kowing how to calculate your run times, turn around points, gas consumptions, RMV, etc are all beneficial. (ok, so I had to ask my tech friends that one, hehe)

One of the things we don't want do to is let a particular dive discipline have to constantly account for themselves, that is no fun, but balance that with the fact that every good idea can withstand muster.

We see DIR discussions between detractors and proponants get totally heated and personal on other boards. I am pleased that so far that hasn't happened in this thread, so you guys are to be commended in exercising restraint, as I can tell you're all trying!

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If you are going down the DIR path and will only dive with other DIR trained and practicing divers you have to remember that sometimes that little invisible Irish buddy Murphy may be along for the dive. Although gear placement is all the same what happens when someone forgets something and then its overlooked in a predive drill? It gets forgotten about because its always there. You may get complacent because its always in the same spot.
    Another thing happens when you travel around the world when your by yourself. Some places havent even heard of DIR let alone know what its about. You get buddied up with one of their DMs who might be in an ill fitting BC with a shorty wetsuit and god knows what sort of regs. Do you say no or do you realize that you are your own buddy and rely on all your training to get you through. I much prefer to solo in them situations or use the guide just for that. Get me to the end of the dive. Have confidence in yourself as a diver but not over confidence. Take your time and make sure DIR is right for you. There are other instuctors that can teach you bouyancy if thats what your aim is
    Im not having a go at you or your choices but be safe and take a few steps back every now and then and have a look at the big picture.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    The DIR thing gets a lot of heat on some forums. We think any advanced training is good, and that includes GUE training.

The idea of knowing your tech gasses, kowing how to calculate your run times, turn around points, gas consumptions, RMV, etc are all beneficial. (ok, so I had to ask my tech friends that one, hehe)

One of the things we don't want do to is let a particular dive discipline have to constantly account for themselves, that is no fun, but balance that with the fact that every good idea can withstand muster.

We see DIR discussions between detractors and proponents get totally heated and personal on other boards. I am pleased that so far that hasn't happened in this thread, so you guys are to be commended in exercising restraint, as I can tell you're all trying!
    It certainly does generate some heated debates. In the UK I believe GUE are ........ distancing themselves from the DIR acronym but not, obviously, the methodology or their holistic approach. Jeez, I hate that 'holistic' slogan! Just as an aside what continent is this forum based in? The USA? Sorry a combination of being nearly 50 and my poor old PADI training have left me bereft of some observational skills.

In short, the antagonism seemed to be mainly caused by the "holier than thou" attitudes of some forum DIR proponents and the implication of the DIR name. Of course GI3 was reportedly the source of some confrontational statements (I've never read any of his "stuff"). It definitely seemed like DIR acolytes had "seen the light" and could not refrain informing everyone of the errors of their non DIR ways.

Anyway, I personally only get amused these days ......... mainly because I am happy with my level of diving and don't need or want to go back and do a Fundies course only to have my choice of diving destroyed and rebuilt because I don't conform to the team.

For any DIR divers out there I would like to reiterate that there is a lot of good involved in what DIR does although it seems to preach a slightly "there is only one way" mantra about diving. I am certain that large numbers of divers have reviewed their skill levels as a result of the birth of and arguements about DIR. I am even aware of some previous DIR haters, on one of my other fora, who are now doing the fundies course.

Of the DIR stuff I am aware of I certainly think the hand signals are good. The emphasis on getting buoyancy right is essential to any dive. A good number of divers don't get this correct. No one will ever convince me other than "shut the isolator first" and then sort out the problem if you can or ascend on your one remaining cylinder. Erm ........... the acronym I stick to is DIMY.
    Last edited by Finless; 03-07-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast