Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of BC's

Default Thinking of BC's

Ok, maybe I should post in the BC area here or **********, but ********** is infected with DIR types spreading their germs around and I am after a less hysterical (and Kiwi) opinion.

I am looking at getting a BC soon (i'm a n00b ok).

I have discovered that I am not a fan of jackets as I don't like the squeeze.

I like the look and the reviews of the Knighthawk but I am ambivalent about integrated weights.

It is also frickin pricey anywhere you look - $1500 or so new.

My other option that I am tossing up is a BP&W, diverite to be precise. I have spoken to the guys at NorthEast Scuba in the US and they will ship a diverite to NZ. The package is about $400 US plus another $100 for shipping (or about 1/2 the price of the kit in NZ).

What I like is that it is modular and I can change it easily if my diving changes (doubles etc).

Plus, just to prove how shallow I am, will I look like a complete w@nker if I turn up to an AOW class wearing a BP&W - I don't want to look like super-tech-boy!!

Cheers,
    Bob

Gday Bob. I am not one of those DIR types, just a good ole kiwi diver and I find them superb.
    I have owned about 5 different BCD's and have had a BP&W for around 4 years now and completely love it. I could not go back to a stab jacket type BCD. If I did (which I wont) it would be the knighthawk.
    The best thing about my BP&W is that the backplate weighs 3 kg (for the SS) and sits right above your lungs, which is great as they are a source of buoyancy, and enables a diver to remove weight from the waist to which in turn helps their trim. (So when collecting those scallops you dont kick up all the silt)
    The inflation at the back is also nice and stable (Think hot air ballon) and stops the wrap around pressure squeeze.

They are also modular and easy to repair if you by chance puncture them.

You wont look like a w@nker but people will comment about "Angel Wings" and "Tekkie" gear because they don't know any different. I teach in mine and have given a lot of my students a chance to try one. Most have loved them.

My wife used to get so pi33ed off with people telling her she must be a tekkie because she has a "tekkie BCD" but has now learned to ignore them because the reality is they don't know what they are talking about. There is nothing Tekkie about them. They are just a Keep It Simple Stupid BCD with no extra dangly flashy plastic breakable bits.
    Kinda like a bivvy bag really...Nothing flash about it but it does the job without the fluffing around!

If you want to try before buying you can have a play with mine if you like? We can just whip out after work during the week in my boat and give it a blast.
    Last edited by Azza; 01-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.

I do like the simple is good philosophy, KISS has been a mantra of mine for years.

Plus getting weight off a belt and getting nicely trimmed out would be major bonuses!

Everything I have read says that if you dive one you won't go back, so if I can get a good one for less than a "normal" BCD, then I never have to worry about upgrades.

Thanks for the offer of trying one out, I may take you up on that. Main problem is that I will likely be working nights for a while but I don't know what my hours will be.

Cheers,
    Bob

I have a couple of BC's and the Knighthawk is one of them. Pricey isn't such a bad thing if you get value for your money. I'm not so much into the BP&W as it usually requires a weight belt and I vowed decades ago to never again don one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Mialkovsky View Post
    I have a couple of BC's and the Knighthawk is one of them. Pricey isn't such a bad thing if you get value for your money. I'm not so much into the BP&W as it usually requires a weight belt and I vowed decades ago to never again don one of them.
    I used my old bosses Knighthawk once and was actually surprised at how comfy it was. If I was to ever wear a "traditional" type BCD again it would be the Knighthawk.

I used to wear a weightbelt with my backplate but as I hate them too I got some little integration pouches which slide onto the waist straps, and have 3kg in each and 2 kg on my top cam band. Works great in both drysuit and wetsuit (which I have just discovered again after a year 3 dry diving period )

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleBobBuffpants View Post

Thanks for the offer of trying one out, I may take you up on that. Main problem is that I will likely be working nights for a while but I don't know what my hours will be.

Cheers,

Bob
    No worries. If you are in no hurry we can head out on a weekend sometime

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleBobBuffpants View Post
    I do like the simple is good philosophy, KISS has been a mantra of mine for years.
    Mine too. Less to go wrong and the solutions are usually easier

I'm in no rush, I have to increase my buy dive gear fund before I can splash out on new toys.

Registered Users

How about a BP/W delivered to your door for less than $550nz?
    http://www.blackart.com.au/Products.htm
    With SS or ali plate, 30lb or double tank 40lb wing

I have one and so does my buddy.

The standard inflater is not the best but we both use a SS1 reg/inflator so its a non issue.

Is that a Hog harness?

I doubt I could set one of those up by myself, let alone figure out how to get in and out of the darn thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast